Waterski fun

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Mitchell, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Just got back from my weekly trip to Callaway Gardens. Our favorite week of the year which includes lots of waterskiing.

My wife still has that magic touch on the slalom course.

I brought my game face (if nothing else)

My oldest daughter brought her biggest smile when she finally managed to get up on her own with one ski. She had been dropping a ski for the past year.

She couldn't save this one!

My youngest daughter got in on the action!

At the Master's score board.

2. senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Nice series Mitch. We leave in the morning for our week on the lake. A little sking, Wakeboarding and tubbing. Photos are a week away.
  3. That last one is cute, it made me laugh.
  4. eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Fun shots Mitch, it is always so enjoyable to see your daughter's contagious smile. Family fun like this is a treasure, thanks for sharing your day with us.
  5. Wonderful series of shots Mitch! Looks like you're getting along great with the cam :wink:
  6. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great series
    Super pics
    Congratulation on the one ski!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful big smile

Oh how I rmember the thrill of skiing
  7. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

That just looks like a blast! Nice pictures of a fun time for everyone, thanks for sharing!
  8. gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005

Thanks for sharing these fun images! Love all those smiling faces!!
  9. nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    Nice series, Mitchell. thanks for sharing. always nice to see a 'new' sport posted here.
  10. Thanks for the kind words, everyone!!

Peter, the D2Xs was a fine performer on the water. I think the AF is superior to the D2X. My keeper rate was incredible. These were all taken with the D2Xs and the 70-200mm VR in Active mode. I think I had 2 OOF shots out of over 500.:biggrin: My only problem was wading through all of those good shots to find the best!!
  11. Raul_T

Apr 29, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    Can't help but smile when looking at them! Thanks for sharing.

12. cool pics...I saw you used your 70-200 w/ VR active, can you share some other data? shutter speed, CP used, etc? I'm probably going to be taking some pics of the kids waterskiing next month, and bought a CP just for that.
  13. I did use a polarizer for these shots. I shoot Aperture priority with the lens pretty close to wide open (f2.8) most of the time. Shutterspeeds are kept above 1/1200 which was easy to do on these sunny days.

All were taken with matrix metering with exposure compensation dialed down to avoid blown highlights as needed.

Hope this helps. Post your pics here after you all ski!!
  14. Thanks Mitch. It's interesting, in Thom Hogan's ebook (on the D200 anyway) he says Nikon recommends that anytime you use a filter that cuts at least a stop of light by 1, you should use CW and not matrix...but your pictures look fine to me.

15. What fun!! Boy, that brings back memories for me....many years ago, we had an old Chris-Craft that we kept at my grandparents' cottage on a small lake in Pennsylvania. I learned to waterski and to slalom behind that boat. Ah, those were the days.....