Watterson Towers Residence Hall

Yesterday, I visited the Watterson Towers Residence Hall on the campus of Illinois State University in Normal. This is one of the tallest dormitory buildings in the world at just under 300 feet. It houses more than 2,200 students. It's the tallest building between Chicago and St. Louis. Here are a few abstract photographs of this structure:

2021-06-05 ISU-4-Edit copy.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2021-06-05 ISU-38-Edit copy.jpg

2021-06-05 ISU-16-Edit copy.jpg

2021-06-05 ISU-37-Edit copy.jpg

2021-06-05 ISU-32-Edit copy.jpg

2021-06-05 ISU-36-Edit copy.jpg

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

A;ll of these are really nice!

How high were you and did you get special access to a relatively high vantage point? Or did you point your camera upward using a perspective-control lens? If not, did you correct the perspective distortion during post-processing?
Thanks Mike...

I had trouble getting any kind of clear view from ground level. Not only was the degree of distortion difficult to manage from there, but there were trees and power lines in the way. So, I located a parking garage--paid to enter and drove to the fifth (upper) level. From there, I had a vantage point that was more suitable for the subject. But I still had to correct these in post. I mostly used the 70-200 2.8 with the FTZ adaptor.

Glenn

Impressive!
Very well done.
Very nice Glenn. You need a PC lens.
Another spectacular series Glenn.
Your sense of order, balance, symmetry, perspective and color is truly amazing.
Thanks Nick, Rick, Walter and Alex!

Regarding the PC lens...I've considered purchasing one. But, I almost always end up shooting at wider focal lengths (14mm) and Nikon's PC lenses aren't nearly that wide. Secondly, I am shooting mirrorless right now...and don't wish to purchase any more F mount lenses. Third, I don't seem to have too much of an issue getting straight verticals with just a bit of post processing tweaking.

Glenn

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I am always amazed at how you visualize and create images of buildings!!!! Apparently this is a wonderful building as seen through your eyes! It is also a great opportunity to study and look for many compositions within one subject. Well done. All the images are excellent, however I am partial to #5.

All very nice.
Thanks Binnur
I am always amazed at how you visualize and create images of buildings!!!! Apparently this is a wonderful building as seen through your eyes! It is also a great opportunity to study and look for many compositions within one subject. Well done. All the images are excellent, however I am partial to #5.
Thanks for the kind words, Karen...some of these photographs are created out of desperation. I was coaching my youth baseball team in an out of town tournament in Bloomington, Illinois. We had some downtime one morning, so I was killing time by checking out the ISU campus...hoping to find something of interest to photograph. If the sun had been in a different position, the front of the building was even more interesting! -- these pictures are of the back of the residence hall.

Glenn

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom