Critique Wave

The aim of the shot was to capture the contrast between the black rocks and white surf, shot from almost vertically above for an interesting perspective (a cliff top)

Shot with Fuji X100T, I don't have settings to hand but from memory f8,iso200,1/500s.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
mk tdg, on Flickr

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Hello, and thanks for sharing. Upon first glance and reaction, this is a very unique and interesting perspective (looking down.) Rarely do we get a chance to see rocks and waves of this type from nearly directly above. That Aspect alone creates a bit of excitement in the image. You stated that you were drawn to the contrast between the dark rocks and the white waves, but to my eye, we need the rocks to be a larger component of the image.

There is a great deal of space in the middle of the image that causes the viewer to loose focus on the rocks. In fact if you were to split the image exactly into two parts, I think each resulting image right or left, would be a stronger image than the single image. Each side would have a better proportion of contrasting rocks and waves than the larger single image.

One nice thing you didn't mention is the wonderful shade of teal green/blue of the water behind the foam. A nice third part of the image is that color and I like the larger area of that color in the left center of the image above the large rock.

If you are really wanting to emphasize the light vs dark, thinking about a conversion to B&W could prove useful, but you loose that nice color, but the conversion would, I suspect, provide more contrast between your two primary subjects.

I would also suggest playing around with slower shutter speeds to smooth the water just a little, but I bet that a tripod from straight overhead would be difficult to achieve! Usually we see beach contrast shots from water level, (which allows the rocks to be a strong foreground subject) so this is certainly a very unique perspective. Thanks for posting in the C&C area!

I like the shot, the colors and tones are great and the vantage point is striking.

I agree with some of the critique above, but the more I looked at the image the more my eyes went to the top right corner. There is IMHO a very interesting crop available. The dark rocks create a leading line like stepping stones and the beautiful curvature of the wave is much more prominent. Less dead space and crossing diagonals give some tension to the composition. I put a crude diagram up here to clarify what I mean.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Even better than splitting the image in half! And with crop above you have a nice leading line caused by the rocks that takes you on a journey from the lower left corner. Great crop suggestion.

Thanks all for the detailed feedback! What a great start to this subforum :)

Hello, and thanks for sharing. Upon first glance and reaction, this is a very unique and interesting perspective (looking down.) Rarely do we get a chance to see rocks and waves of this type from nearly directly above. That Aspect alone creates a bit of excitement in the image. You stated that you were drawn to the contrast between the dark rocks and the white waves, but to my eye, we need the rocks to be a larger component of the image.

There is a great deal of space in the middle of the image that causes the viewer to loose focus on the rocks. In fact if you were to split the image exactly into two parts, I think each resulting image right or left, would be a stronger image than the single image. Each side would have a better proportion of contrasting rocks and waves than the larger single image.
I like this idea, I can see your point about the dead space in center frame.

One nice thing you didn't mention is the wonderful shade of teal green/blue of the water behind the foam. A nice third part of the image is that color and I like the larger area of that color in the left center of the image above the large rock.

If you are really wanting to emphasize the light vs dark, thinking about a conversion to B&W could prove useful, but you loose that nice color, but the conversion would, I suspect, provide more contrast between your two primary subjects.
I tried a quick B&W conversion using my phone, I do like how it looks and although the rich colour is missing I think the result is good.

I would also suggest playing around with slower shutter speeds to smooth the water just a little, but I bet that a tripod from straight overhead would be difficult to achieve! Usually we see beach contrast shots from water level, (which allows the rocks to be a strong foreground subject) so this is certainly a very unique perspective. Thanks for posting in the C&C area!
I great suggestion but unfortunately I can't repeat this shot any time soon, I'm now back home!

I like the shot, the colors and tones are great and the vantage point is striking.

I agree with some of the critique above, but the more I looked at the image the more my eyes went to the top right corner. There is IMHO a very interesting crop available. The dark rocks create a leading line like stepping stones and the beautiful curvature of the wave is much more prominent. Less dead space and crossing diagonals give some tension to the composition. I put a crude diagram up here to clarify what I mean.
A great spot! I hadn't seen this at all.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
That last crop truly enhances the image. Maybe a small edit on the stick, fish, trash in upper right area of wave.

I favor the BW conversion given the contrast and textures. Agree that crop is a challenge and the central area is largely devoid of something to hold my attention. Playing around with scrolling the image, I like a panoramic crop right below the 3 top right rocks, which puts the breaking surf about 1/3 down from the top of the frame.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom