WAY OFF TOPIC......(Help needed)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doug Barber, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Greetings:
    As most of us, I've been getting junk mail from some outfit trying to sell me all types of stuff. To date I just hit my junk mail button and carry on.
    But today, I received a "Mail delivery failure notice" The strange thing was this notice was sent to me because (someone used my mail address) to send some crap mail to a third party and the address was no good.
    So what is happening here? Has someone got my mail address and now are using it to send mail to third parties. Or has someone got control of my computer and sending it direct from my unit.
    What can I do to solve this?

With luck some of you computer guru’s can shed a little light on this…..

2. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Another form of junk mail getting you to click on links in the message to view an ad. I get them all the time. If you didn't send it, I'd just toss it.

3. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

There are all sorts of ways, including random address entries, that you get these.

These are generally "phishing" scams, or contain an attachment they instruct you to open that usually contains a virus or trojan.

My email provider filters these into a junk folder, or I could have set up Outlook Express to delete them from the server, etc.

I have never given my "main" email address to anyone. I only use disposable email addresses, so if an address I use begins to get spam or other emails like the ones we're talking about, I just delete that address and advise whoever I used it for, of a new address. I also keep a spreadsheet file with every site I have signed up at, with the email address, ID and password used. So when I do make a change I have a ready list of what I need to do.

4. Hi Gregory and Ken.....
    Thanks for the reply. The address they are using is my (non-work) address. but still one that I would like to continue to use.
    I use it for places like the cafe.
    So if I understand this right, the only way to solve this crap is to change my address?
    Here is a screenshot of the mail I got.... I have no idea if it will help anyone figure out what is happening.

5. It's probably too late now for your e-mail address, but one of my three e-mail addresses gets 20-30 spam mails per day. I ALWAYS review that mail with webmail, and delete all the suspicious stuff without opening it. That way, it never gets downloaded to my computer. Then I download what I know to be legitimate with Outlook, and shut it down.

I've been very careful with my other two addresses, and so far, no spam. :roll:

6. Doug;

It's possible that your computer is infected and has become a "zombie" which is sending out spam. If you keep getting this sort of stuff, then you're probably a victim. Is your virus software up to date? (I use AVG which has a free version). Whatever you use, be sure to keep it updated at least weekly.

Do you use anti-spyware software? Some good ones are SpyBot Search & Destroy (free) and SpySweeper ($30). You can find both of these at komando.com. I have no affiliation with them, just use them and they work well. The anti-spyware programs work well with each other, unlike multiple virus programs.

Patrick undoubtedly has more experience in this area. Hopefully he will chime in.

Hope this helps,
    Brian

7. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

The new "rules" require legitimate businesses to include a link so you can "unsubscribe".

The problem is that the illegitimate ones, also contain a link that purports to be a "remove" or "unsubscribe", but DO NOT click on these! They only verify to the spammer that your email address is valid!

There are several ways (software programs, web-sites, etc.) to filter out unsolicited email. But, most of these require you buy the software or pay a monthly service fee. if it's very bad the only total way to rid yourself of this stuff is to change your email address. Providers don't let you do that usually so it means closing the account and starting a new one. If you do that, be sure to choose a provider that will furnish you with disposable email addresses. Yahoo has a terrific system for that. I get 11 regular email addresses, and then each of those is capable of setting up several other disposable addresses!

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Doug,

It's a practice called spoofing where a spammer replaces the email header on their outgoing spam mail with a header that makes it look like YOU are sending the email. The emails sent are either useless spam, or virus/trojan/phish mails. I have an increasing list of filters to keep these out of my work email. I get on the order of one hundred a day at my chris.heilman@pcmail ... address

Short of ditching your old address and getting a new email addy, there is nothing you can do, since they do not actually go through your mail server. Due to this problem, I consider email to be essentially dead as a communication device.

I consider the best way to get ahold of me to be a PM here, or a comment on my blog. The email I use here is not too bad yet, but the junk is increasing, so it's just a matter of time. I now have a new email address, so I may be switching when this one gets as bad as my work mail.

9. Thanks everyone.....
    It's good to get an education on this type of stuff.... As a Mac user I normally don't worry too much about all the weird stuff you PC users have to put up with. I guess the Mac platform is just not big enough to worry about.
    At this point this is the first time this has happened and I really only see about (1) spam mail daily. That being said, I guess its best just to trash them and carry on.
    Thanks again.

10. Yeah, I agree w/ Chris. One of my email addies -- the one used mainly by my wife -- was apparently being spoofed a whole lot (mainly by virus/trojans) until recently. I've actually replied to a few inquiries that asked why they were receiving such emails from me in the past -- in cases where the inquirer seemed legitimate. The virus/trojan problem seems to have died down for my addies -- or maybe Verizon's been better at filtering them out lately (and I haven't been reviewing my SPAM folder). Yeah, phishing is a problem too though I don't recall seeing any such cases where I'm being told that "my" impersonated email is being rejected.

Ken,

I'm not sure about other small/local ISPs, but Verizon (at least their DSL service) does allow you to change email addies and offer multiple addies per account as well. I thought AOL does that too and probably most other big, national ISPs nowadays.

_Man_

11. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Before I started to proactively combat spam at my office I would recieve 150-200 junk emails per day. Talk about depressing. The first hour to hour and a half of my day deleting email of all kinds of non sense and "marital aids." Now I use SpamAssasin on my linux email server and I only get 2-4 a day. Much better. Spam sucks!

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Doug,

I wondered sometimes also.

Do a google search of your name.

See what shows up.. May suprise you.

some companies sell e-mail addresses as well...Large data bases of them.

13. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

14. I have and it did.

About 275,000 hits.

But it transpires that I share a name with a pop star of whom I've never heard who has albums of his own and some with Shania Twain.

15. Thanks Everyone.....
    And yes I did a goofgle seach of my name but come up with 975,000 hits and just don't have time to look at them all.
    Mind you there does seem to be some page one that says I'm some type of a photographer... and at least I found my PBase account :lol: :lol: