Way out west

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by JAM, Aug 23, 2005.

1. JAM

JAM

Apr 30, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    A few glimpses of some Burlington, Northern & Santa Fe trains booking good time in the New Mexico desert.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hi John,

Are those Amtrack Diesel Engines in the first photo? Not sure that I have seen any just like them.

If this is on the main line toward Arizona, we rode on those tracks in 1996 on the American Orient Express. Sure looks like it!
    Bob & Nan

3. Good images for train aficionados. Thanks for sharing.

4. Nice scenes from one of my favorite areas. Was this between Albuqurque and Santa Fe?

5. JAM

JAM

Apr 30, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    The first one was an Amtrak "Super Liner" train called the "Southwest Chief" headed east. It was moving at a good pace, perhaps 80 MPH as best I could guess. It was a train of streamlined double decker passenger cars and runs between Chicago and Los Angeles.

The location was on the main line double track about 35 miles west of Albuquerque and about 18 miles south of Interstate 40, right along New Mexico State route 6. I wanted to show that, but for these trains in the distance, the land looks as it probably did thousands of years ago.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2005