Way to go Santa....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by manzico, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Santa came through big time while I was home in NY. What did I find underneath the tree? The TC-17E II, that's what. I don't know if I'll get a chance to play with it tomorrow, but I'm not going back to work until the 9th so I'll have plenty of time to take it for a spin over the next week or so. Most certainly there are image posts to follow. I hope you all had the opportunity to spend some time with the family as I did. And let's not forget, happy new year to you all as well.

Dave

2. Great news Dave! I am anxious to see what you do with it. That is a lot of time off to work with, I am in envy.
    Dave

3. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    It's a nice new toy your have there. I'm sure you like the extra reach with very little picture derogation. Enjoy those days off.

4. Hi Dave --
    You are gonna enjoy that TC-17E for sure!!

I was looking at your Arizona photos on pbase -- they are
    wonderful!! You have an excellent eye for composition and form.
    [[And the photos were making me very homesick as I lived in
    Tucson for a couple of years a loooong time ago when I
    was studying at U. of A.]]

I have a question or two for you about photographyin Arizona -- what hours of the day do you find are best for shooting out there in the land of Very Strong Sunlight and High Contrast?? Or is that unavoidable? Last time I was there for vacation (6 yrs ago) it seemed like even the early morning was almost too bright already, but on that vacation I did not yet have a dSLR
    so didn't do much more than "snapshots". Also, do you make use of ND filters a lot out there? Thanks --

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I recently picked up the TC-17E. It works great with the 70-200VR.

In response to annedi's question, the first and last two-three hours of the day are best. I was out there last month for a week with my camera club. I used graduated ND's quite a lot. It is very contrasty and it's easy to run into problems with part of the image being in bright sunlight and the rest in dark shadow. The grad ND's can only do so much in those situations. At the risk of starting another post-processing debate, consider bracketing and recombining with PS's HDR tool, or shoot RAW and merge images with different exposures.

6. Congrats, it will give you an extension on life.:rolleyes:

7. Thanks John!! I guess it's pretty much the "rule-o-thumb" almost everywhere about the first/last 2/3 hours of the day isn't it? I always felt like in Arizona that I should be getting out there about 2 houres BEFORE the sun rose :biggrin:
    BTW, you must have a GREAT camera club if you all were off shooting for a week in Arizona. Wow, what fun!!
    Good reminder about the "merging" techniques being a possible way to bring out some of the dark/contrasty areas. I need to do some practice on that. Thanks again!

8. Best time to shoot...

Andrea,

I'm glad you liked the photos on my Pbase site. About the time of day, it really can vary. Depending on the subject and the locale. Obviously for big time sweeping landscape stuff, the hours just before sunset and just after sunrise are best as a general rule. I really wouldn't know too much about sunrise shooting though... it's a little bit on the early side for me). But I find there's good shooting to be done pretty much during all hours of the day. If I'm shooting IR, mid-day can actually be good since it allows me access to all 360 degrees of horizon. Also if I'm planning on b&w mid day can also be good because I can throw a CP filter on and get nice dark skies in the resulting photo again at all 360 degrees along the horizon. For color though you have to go sunset/sunrise. If I'm doing shots of plants though (and of course this depends on the plants) mid day can be nice because I'm looking for contrast. I like to do alot of shooting just after sunset too. The clouds can still be lit up, but the stars are becoming visible. Here's an example:

original.

I guess what I'm saying is I like shooting at all hours, but I have to plan on the right subject for the right time.

Dave