WB problem

I'm trying to figure out how to measure WB with my D70. I think I've followed the instructions in my owner's manual to the letter, but no matter what the lighting, I get a "no good" response. The manual tells me that will happen when there is too much or too little light.............but I've tried it in all lighting possibilities.

gho

I think Nikon's custom WB is needlessly complex. With most other cameras you simply point and shoot, you needn't even fill the entire frame with the gray card.

Setting WB is so messed up on the Nikon's that I can't never remeber how to do it. So I usually just shoot a GM chart and correct in post.

K

Ken-L

Chris - what are you pointing the camera at when you try to PREset the white balance?

K

Ken-L

I think I see the problem.....

You don't use the Menu for setting PREset WB.
Press the WB button on the rear of the camera (left of LCD), hold it in, and rotate the thumb wheel until the top display shows PRE, then let go of the button. Now, get ready to point the camera at a white source, and Press the WB button on the rear of the camera (left of LCD), holding it in until the top display begins to flash PRE. Then let go of the button and depress the shutter release (you may or may not have to use manual focus - I almost never do even with an Expodisc tight against the lens). If the light was enough (it should be 'cause I can do it in very low light) the display will read GOOD.

gho

Chris C said:
Gregory, thanks for the Nikon bash..........most helpful.
Sorry... It wasn't ment as a bash. I had the same problem as you, I couldn't get custom WB to work half the time, and I just find it simpler/quicker to apply WB corrections in post. Just trying to sugguest an alternate method. Not my intent to offend anyone.

Thanks for the help guys, I've just gotten back from town and will try everything mentioned.

Gregory, I apologize for being so quick to take offense. Must have been the way I read your comments. I just get so tired of Nikon bashing.

Paul and Ken, I've been doing exactly as you suggested, but I went through your lists just to verify...........I still get "no good" as a result. Doesn't make any difference if I'm outside the house, inside, or somewhere inbetween. I know it's not the camera. Has to be something I'm doing or not doing.

Real Name
Chris
I have trouble remembering how to set a custom WB. For anyone using a D100 it's:
1) Go to the custom WB menu in the shooting menu set. (the second set down.)
2) decide what priority mode you are going to use the custom WB in (I don't understand why you need to do this step.)
3) Set the mode dial to WB.
4) Rotate the front dial until Pre is flashing in the shot counter.
5) Shoot something 'neutral', making sure the neutral part takes up at least the central circle in the display.
6) If the top LCD says "Good", switch back to the proiority mode you selected in step 1 or...
6a) if it says NoGd, go back to step 4.
7) take your picture and evaluate the white balance. If the neutral thing you selected wasn't, do it all over.

I too find it easier to set the camera to auto WB and use ACR's dropper tool to set the WB. I have done extensive testing, and this is lossless, at least on the D100. Other cameras may be different.

gho

Chris C: No worries. I should've been more careful with my wording.

Chris H: I'm a bit slow, so I was thinking it was only me that couldn't remember stuff like that. It's cool that you're in the same boat - dumbdom loves company ;)

I used to think WB should be accurate as possible in camera, as I figured that affected the way the RAW data was recorded. I was proven wrong.... Seems only the original D1 WB affected RAW data.

I'm shooting in Jpeg and RAW. I can easily do my WB in postprocessing shooting with RAW..............but I'm going to shoot Jpeg for this project and want to be as close on as possible. Still need to know what I'm doing wrong, or is there a problem in the camera? (which I doubt)

Gentlemen,

Just a word of thanks for starting this thread. I am so very new to digital and I have been truly nervous about pre-setting for WB that I am satisfied to use the canned sets i.e. sunny, cloudy, etc. which I know is rather closed-minded. I asked a question in another thread about WB and received a tremendous amount of information that will help me shoot better quality images. I enjoyed following this thread as it is also very informative. You guys are great for sharing what you know!

K

Ken-L

I wish there were some way we could figure out what you are doing to see where the problem is. Can you take a close-up video showing what you are doing and post a link? I can do 30 second clips with my backup camera to show you how I do it if you need me to.

Can you describe. step-by-step, what you are doing to set the WB?

I remember the first time a tried to set WB I could not, but I don't remember what I was doing wrong! There's a chance it is the camera, but we have to exhaust all the other possibilities first. Don't give up, let's keep at this until it's okay.

gho

Chris C said:
I'm shooting in Jpeg and RAW. I can easily do my WB in postprocessing shooting with RAW..............but I'm going to shoot Jpeg for this project and want to be as close on as possible. Still need to know what I'm doing wrong, or is there a problem in the camera? (which I doubt)
Well, on the D70, you can take WB from an existing photo. Try this:

1) snap a photo of your gray card (filling the frame) - use p mode with manual focus, that way you'll get a good exposure without having to focus.

2) go to preset on the WB menu

3) change the highlighted section from "Measure" to "Use photo"

4) use the photo that you just took of the gray card

5) Bam! You're done.

Lemme know if that works. Sounds like you got the routine down since you're getting the "no Gd" message.

D70 white balance

Chris after reading the proceedure for custom white balance from your description, I knew there was a reason I kept my D2H manual in the back of my bag. HMMM maybe i will have it laminated! CS Dayan

Latest threads

Top Bottom