1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

WB question

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by clickcanada, Jul 2, 2008.

1. I understand what WB is, that is is basically the colour of the light, just not to sure about how to get it right when taking a pic. I typically keep my D70 set to A for WB, but then I have to go back in PP and give the colours a tweek to get them right. Is there anything else in the settings that affect the WB of a pic?
    Is there another way that I can set up my camera so that I can closer to the proper colours right out of the camera?

Sooo many questions...........:cool: 

2. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    Use the Custom WB ('PRE') setting. Get yourself an ExpoDisc or one of its several equivalents (WhiBal, etc.), measure the White Balance of the subject lightning, and set the Custom setting.

I usually use one of the presets for outdoor shots (I don't find AWB to be accurate), but for indoor shots I use the ExpoDisc religiously, because I find that it gives me the most accurate white balance even in mixed light situations.

3. AdamL provided good advice. One adder, you ought to consider buying the largest practical ExpoDisc that covers your largest lens. For example, a 77mm ExpoDisc costs about $100 U.S. currently and will work with this size lens and smaller. If you buy a smaller ExpoDisc, you may not have what you need for larger lenses.

Also, if WB is your thing, make certain you buy the white balance ExpoDisc and not the "cream-colored" one designed for portraiture, etc.

Tom

4. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    Tom's suggestion is a good one.

I actually use the 82mm size handheld, so that it completely covers even my biggest lenses, which are 77mm.

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Well, custom WB will give the best results, but at the very least, select the most appropriate preset WB from those offered by your camera. - daylight, cloudy, shade, flash, incandescent, fluorescent etc.

6. Thanks for the info, I will look into an expo disk. I have tried using the different WB settings on my camera and thought that using auto would allow the camera to select the best for the situation, but like many other settings, it is probably best to have control over that as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.