WB setting when shooting with Alienbees

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by StrongSportsPhotos, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Just to spur some conversation...

This past weekend I test adjusted the WB on some prior studio shoot photos in Capture NX from the 5600K that Alienbees say their flashtube is down to 5200K. I remembered reading a test comparison between AB's and another manufacturers strobes. In the writeup it was said the AB's WB came in at 5200K instead of the stated 5600K that AB's says the flashtube is.

Setting it to 5200K took away just enough of the redness in the skintones and brought it to a more natural look.

In my next studio shoot, I'm going to set my D200 to Daylight WB (5200K) instead of 5600K (Daylight -3) and see how I make out.

So, what do ya'll Alienbees owners set your WB to?

John

2. I had a problem with my ab's the first time I used them. So I found out how to set a custom wb on my D50, and took a picture of my mostly grey record bag on my white couch. I've never had a color issue with those lights since.

3. Gray Card readings for mine shot through AB Softboxes always hover around 5600 which is what I have always used. Use a gray card and set a custom WB.

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I set mine to the stated color temp of the flash tubes - 5600.

5. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    I with Woody, although I don't have bees anymore I used a grey card when I did and still do.

Dan

6. The one AB I have (the ring flash) is a touch warmer than the Elinchrom flashes I use.

~5500 or so seems about right.

7. Always shoot a custom wb off a grey card. Its simple and works quite well.

/Paul L.

8. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Is this possible with a D50? I'd imagine so but I've never tried.. My camera isn't here now or I'd simply take a look. I need to figure this out though as I'll soon begin shooting with my AB's.

9. John,

Lately I've been doing a test shot on a gray card before shooting and this has given me the best overall results. The skin tones are a little warmer and this method appears to work well for different skin tones.

10. Expo Disc

I shot a wedding using one AB800 into an Octodome. I did a custom through the Expo Disc warm. Color in Lightroom show 5600K. Looked a bit cool to me so I bumped it to 6100K for really nice skin tones.

11. I never have had any luck with my Expo Disc. Do you aim it at the light or at the subject?

12. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Jim I use a grey card myself, but the expo disc should beaimed at the subject. This way it reads the actual light reading. I think if you aimed at the light you would not have true reading. As I said I do not use one but Had a demo by some one who does.

13. Thanks Troy. I'll try it again...

14. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Jim, I use an exposo disk all the time (actually bought mine from Mike Mac.) My studio is very mixed lighting. ( I Have a huge bank of 11 foot windows along one wall.) theway I use it is after I set all my lighting ratios I shoot it from the subjects position aimed at where the camera will be. Since using this method I have not done a white balance adjustment on any of my studio shots.

Dan

15. Thanks Dan! Now that I think about it, your method really makes sense...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.