1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

We had to put our Westie down

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by exposinglife, Jun 30, 2008.

1. exposinglife

exposinglife

Apr 12, 2007
    NC
    To make a long story short, our 10 year old Westie, Indy, was not trustworthy at all when I was not around. The other day he went after my seven month pregnant wife who was holding our two year old. When she put him down, he started to turn on him as well. Indy had seemed to be doing OK, but we simply could not trust him any more. We would not be able to forgive ourselves if he would have bitten our son.

After listing some of his many other issues out, he really was not adoptable. He wouldn't be good around kids and is not a lap dog...and he never got along with any other dogs other than our other Westie.

For anyone who has gone through something similar, my heart goes out to you. I'm just trying to remember the good times...but I just keep thinking to myself what I could have done differently.

i_shadow.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Our 10 yr old Westie, Buster did the exact same thing, starting bitting family members.
    We too had to put it down. I think Buster was in pain all day.

It's hard but it was the best decision.

3. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Dave, I am so sorry. .. A hard decision for sure, but sounds like the right one.

4. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Very Sorry To Hear This.

5. I'm sorry to hear about this situation too. :Curved:

6. exposinglife

exposinglife

Apr 12, 2007
    NC
    Thanks for all the kind words everyone. Today was a bit strange but, as they say, time heals all wounds.

7. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    You did the right thing! It would have been worse if you had let the situation escalate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.