We hit the jackpot!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DiverX, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Good evening!

About 4 years ago we started a camera club here on Long Island for Nature Photography, we called it NWPLI (Nature and Wildlife Photographers of Long Island - http://www.nwpli.com/). Our guru that many of us did workshops with is Charles Glatzer. We have grown from 8 or 10 people to 50 today. I was president for the 1st 2 years, that is no big deal since no one else wanted the job! :rolleyes:

This year we decided to try something as a group, we entered the Natures Best Contest as a "club". We selected 20 images by vote like we do each month at our monthly meetings, we started with maybe 50 or 60 and got it down to the 20 required for the contest. For those that don't know Natures Best Magazine is "THE" magazine for nature photography. You can see their website here;

http://www.naturesbestmagazine.com/

This is an International Competition.

So, this past Tuesday we got the following e-mail;

"Dear Nature & Wildlife Photographers of Long Island (NWPLI),

We are thrilled to inform you that your club has been chosen as a Highly Honored Winner in the Camera Club category of the 2005 Nature’s Best Photography Awards competition. Only 130 photographs were chosen from more than 14,000 images submitted this year.

A representative selection of your club’s many strong images (attached to this email) will appear in the Awards Special Edition of NATURE’S BEST PHOTOGRAPHY magazine, which hits newsstands in mid-October. These images may also be displayed as part of our Nature’s Best Photography Exhibits Program, which will include an exhibit this winter at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History in Washington, DC. Final exhibit selections and schedules will be announced in November."

There is a overall winner of their contest and what they call "Highly Honored Winner" instead of 2nd or 3rd, it's sort of a Silver Medal.

There were 6 images chosen from the 20 to be in the magazine and at the Smithsonian (not 100% sure on the Smithsonian until November). Mine was one of them and I am very excited. Most of all I am excited that our club after only 4 short years in existance has won this award...WOW!!

Enter those contests, you never know!! :eek:

ps: The image they are using from me is my avitar! :biggrin:

2. Congratulations George! That's fantastic. It's always good to see folks get recognized for their work, and yours is certainly deserving. Thanks for sharing this wonderful news!

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Congratulations! As usual, this just cements my belief that NikonCafe members are among the most talented people I know. Well deserved recognition you have received!

4. What an honor for you personally George and your club collectively. Way to go.

5. Congratulations George you and your club must be thrilled

6. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi George,
    You really did hit the jackpot...except no luck in your groups' fine talent-- the nature photographs must be exceptional and the committee couldn't overlook the mass of talent coming from your club.

Congratulations and my best wishes........and I'll look for the magazine but also please be sure to post it when it's out so we can all find it.

Thanks for sharing this great news! Wow, you must feel terrific!

7. Thanks folks!! We are all still on cloud 9 and can't wait for the magazine to come to our houses. It really is a great magazine if you have never seen it. Not just saying that because of the contest either. I have been a subscriber for a little over a year and the photographs are fantastic!!

Thanks so much again for the kind thoughts!!

8. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Congrats, George!! Very deserved recognition!

9. George,

Can you talk more about your club. Do you have a website ?

North Jersey --> Long Island ... hmmm :)

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Congratulations George. If the other member's images are as good as your I'm not at all surprised that you won. :wink:

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    WoooooHoooo GO LONG ISLAND.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mY CHILDHOOD HOME :>))

I am thrilled beyong words..

JOB WELL DONE :>))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

CONTRATULATIONS

12. Hey again thanks folks you are very kind!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Jay,

Here is our website;

http://www.nwpli.com/

There is some stuff there and some of the member portfolios. Mine is OLD, I need to update it...probably been there close to 2 yrs without changing it! :rolleyes:

We have one fellow, actually our current President, coming from Bedford Hills NY, which is in Westchester County...quite a ride! Also have 2 members from NYC. Meetings are once a month and outings are also once a month (at least) sometimes twice if lots happening!

Gale...a Long Islander eh? I am in Suffolk County, St James is the town! :cool:

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    George,

Close to home. :>))

Mastic......

14. Very close!! Spent lots of time over the years at Smiths Point! :wink: