Weakest Link???

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Numael, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Numael

Numael

May 16, 2006
    Destin, FL
    Ok guys I need some options/suggestions from the more experienced users here. I have trying to to get sharp pictures with my 200-400 but in two words; “inconsistent results”. I have read all the posts and threads about Long Lens Technique and Support for this lens, implemented all of the recommendations and I saw some improvement but not enough. What do you think should be replaced: :Dizzy:

I started out with the Gitzo 1257, as recommended I upgraded it to a GT3530LSV and I saw little improvement if any!!! So I am guessing the weakest link is somewhere else, maybe me???? :biggrin:

My current setup is D2Xs+200-400+Markins M10+Sidekick with a Markin’s plate on the lens. I am more incline to believe that it is the M10, which in my mind doesn’t make sense (90 lbs load ratio) but its higher profile could influence the whole rig.

So should I replace?:

M10 with a RRS BH-55?

Sidekick with a Wimberly II?

Get some lens feet replacement? Will this help in this matter or is it just the convenience of not using plates?

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advanced for any help you can bring into this!!!!

2. When I faced the same dilema, I replaced the 200-400 with a 500 f/4 and the issues went away. I know many here get stellar results with the 200-400 but I could not.

3. Numael

Numael

May 16, 2006
    Destin, FL
    Thanks Dave, that option is out of consideration for the next couple of months :biggrin: !!!

I did some tests last night and determined that it was the Sidekick. The whole thing jiggles while on the Sidekick.

Now I don't know if replacing the Sidekick or the BH will do the trick!!

Thanks

4. I would recommend the Full Wimberley. When I did that with me 300 2.8 and TC setup, with the good technique my keepers went up markedly.

Cheers
    Nancy

5. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Are you using VR? I always used VR and I had great results with my sidekick and acratech combo with my 200-400VR, but I always used the VR.

I upgraded to the Kirk King cobra, and then finally on to the wimberley II, because of the variations in feet with my long lenses.

Good luck, and your combo should work, but it also could be the mirror slap on the D2Xs, and the D2Xs requires very very good long lens technique. Same rig on the D70 and the D70 would appear to be sharper due to pixel density being lower and therfore showing less blur. This could also be the concern. Have you shot your D2Xs for a long time and gotten used to it?

Wade