Critique Weaver bird - Post #10 has two more photos

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I first saw a weaver bird in Johannesburg, South Africa in 2015. I found them fascinating! Here is a bit of information about weaver birds.

My one goal for our recent trip to Tanzania was to photograph a weaver bird. During twelve 10-hour days spent photographing, I had about 10 minutes one day to photograph a weaver. That was it! The nest was somewhat low and the entrance to the nest is at the bottom. So, I had to shoot out of the window of the Landrover, but pointing the 600mm lens quite a bit upwards. Thus my chin was buried in the seat cushion as I tried to find a way to look through the viewfinder! Here is the result of my frantic attempts to capture a nice image of a weaver bird.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Attachments

Hi Karen.The focus seems on the nest rather than the bird in the image if my eyes are not wrong. But even so, IMO the bird is sharp enough and it is a great image. Great work considering the shooting conditions.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I do believe you've done an excellent job in spite of the mechanical difficulties. Outstanding photo..
Thanks, Bob!
You did well - nice image.
Appreciate it, Allan!
Very nice, wing open and sharp eye
Hi, Randy! That nice wing position was my reward for being patient! LOL!
Beautiful shot Karen. Amazing what these creatures are able to create.
Thanks, Rick!
Terrific image; I love its delicacy.

I've had plenty of opportunities day after day to photograph weaver birds from the convenient deck of a resort but never had good light. Maybe next time.
I know what you mean. It was mid-day with bright light coming in from the wholes in the foliage. But I was lucky to get the driver to stop, much less try to get a better background. LOL!
Excellent. That would have been a lot harder to pull off had you been 6' 3" instead of 5' 3" (y)
I'm sure my position was NOT a pretty picture! :eek::oops:
Lovely image.
Thank you for commenting!
Hi Karen.The focus seems on the nest rather than the bird in the image if my eyes are not wrong. But even so, IMO the bird is sharp enough and it is a great image. Great work considering the shooting conditions.
You are so right! The bird spent most of the time hanging on the top of the swinging nest. I only had a fraction of a second to get the bird in flight.

Here are two more images I got in that 10 minutes......

Mission accomplished, Karen. The first and third shots are really excellent. Congrats. By way of critique the only suggestion I have would be to try cropping a bit of dead space from the right side of those two.

Excellent images, especially considering conditions you described. I especially like the last image, it seems on my screen the bird is a bit sharper. Bravo!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom