Web Gallery Software Choices?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by realeyz, Mar 18, 2005.

1. I have been looking hard for quite a few months now at as many online photo gallery software solutions as I can find. I have found a few good ones, but lately I have turned to a Photo Blogging php based system called "FolderBlog". This software makes it easy to add images without changing any of the code or even making thumbnails - it does it all for you from a very small admin web interface - you just have to upload your photo. It even has comment section for people to leave comments like on pBase. (http://folderblog.tetto.org)

I would love to hear what others are using and what you like/dislike about it and what platform you use it on - Mac or PC. Please also include URLs for relevant sites too.

I'm not really interested in sites like pBase and SmugMug as I want more control over the look and feel of my site as well as easy portability and expansion.

2. Real,

Have you checked out Macromedia Studio MX? It includes several applications like Dreamweaver & Fireworks which work very nicely together.

3. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
  4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Now Neil....

You're sounding like a politician here pal.....

I've used it but I haven't used it???

(sorry..I'm drinking wine and I just had to!)

5. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    I did the same research the past few weeks before I decided to just code the site myself. It all depends on what you want out of the site? I currently have a smugmug site, but I wanted something more professional, and a cleaner interface. I've spent the past few days working on the new design, and I'm about 90% finished. You can take a look if you like. The link is in my signature.

Here is a list of photoblogging & gallery software. Its a good place to start, and the sites usually have a lot of nice examples.
    http://wiki.photoblogs.org/wiki/Photoblog_Scripts_and_Programs

Hope this helps.

Dave

6. Thanx Dave - yes I have been to the photoblogs.org site and tried a few of the other scripts there - this is why I am currently working with the folderblog one. Now I just have to work up my own template, but I love the power I have to make things work and is so simple to update. I am sick of making my own sites that need constant updating with new images an thumbnails and such - I need extreme efficiency and simplicity in design.

Have you worked with many of the scripts listed on that page at photoblogs.org?

Thanx Dave.

7. I am, along with Neil, another Gallery user. You can see what mine look like at:
    www.deweydrive.com/gallery

I'm not yet happy with the "skin", that is the next thing to work on, but it is really easy to add albums, folders, integrate with shopping carts, comments, yada-yada-yada :wink:

Todd, could you post a link to your site? I'd like to take a look there as well. Gallery is another PHP based system as is Coppermine. What I prefer about Gallery over Coppermine is that I don't need to deal with a MySql database.

I must say that since I have found these PHP based solutions, all of a couple of months ago, I much prefer them to building gallery pages. The ability to just add and remove images and have thumbnails, etc, created is quite nice. I have just added a liitle program called jhead to my gallery bits, automatic EXIF extraction and display.

I'm not sure there is a "right" one, but I sure like this much better than the idea of a pbase or smugmug account. Having all the control myself is quite preferable. Of course it does require having your own server as well.

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. I am also a Gallery user. You can go to my website and click on Galleries to see how I set it up. Works great for me!

Good luck choosing! :)

ps: I adapted the header and footer in this software as you can see. I am no guru with this stuff either but there are websites to show you how to modify things to make it fit with yuor website sorta like I did with mine.

10. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    I'd recommend JAlbum. It's free, flexible and can be integrated into a more comprehensive site: http://jalbum.net/ . It also runs on just about every OS and platform that exists.