Web pages

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ilockert, Jul 23, 2008.

1. I'm sure this has been touched before, but when I did a search it kept saying nothing found. So heres the skinny.
    I have a Smugmug account that I use to sell prints off of which has been great and has paid for itself in less then a month. But here lately Ive been going out and shooting a lot more concerts and now going to be shooting so MMA events and a few other things.
    Soooo what i'm wanting to do is build a portfolio type of site that will link customers to my Smugmug for prints and people that just want to see my work will be able to. Because 90% of the time I lock all customers photos unless requested not to.

Well the problem with this is I'm just about as HTML retarded and Website building dumb as you can possibly get. So anyone know a site that is pretty cut and dry or cut and paste that will be able to help me understand the ways of going and setting all this up.
    TIA

2. Consider doing it in a blog format, use google blog software. Really easy.

3. Search

on the web for free CSS/HTML templates, there are some excellant ones out there and they can be used a starting point to get things moving. The get a book on CSS / HTML or the like and start learning, it's not too hard to be honest, the real challenge is trying to get the look you want and that will take time.

I do not encourage stealing other peoples code, but go onto the web and find sites you like and use the view - page source feature of your browser to figure out how they did it - don't steal it, but learn from it.

It will take time, but a personal site IMHO is better than using SmugMug ( i had a smugmug site for a while). SmugMug is convenient for selling prints and does well in this regard, but a personal site is just that, personal, it's shows who you are and what you are capable of and sets you apart from other people.

Good Luck,
    Daniel