Web site idea critique

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by JMartin, Oct 27, 2005.

1. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Hello all!

As you see in my signature, I put a link to my web site as see my "too lazy to update web site", which is true to a point... mainly because we are so busy at work currently that by the time I get home from work (usually anywhere from 12 - 18 hours / day) the last thing I want to do is update my site. Not to mention, I am no longer doing sidework (unless it is using a camera) - like I have time for graphic design on the side :tongue: I would prefer using any spare time to be out using my camera.

Well, I came across a site using a handy feature I forgot I had downloaded a while back. Readdressing this I came up with what I think may work out perfectly for me.

If you check out my photography page of my web site, CJM Grafx Photos you will see I have a few thumbnails under different categories on the main page. I envision those as being some of my better photos then under each category adding a "click here for additional (category) photos".

As an example of what that link would lead to, check out the test link in the last paragraph in the text area. What do you all think, is that a good idea of linking to additional photos for each of my categories?

Thanks in advance for comments and critiques!

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Joe! I like the overall look and the content of your site very much. The photos are a bit slow to load, but considering how big high rez photo files are, that isn't surprisng. Of course the first thing I did was check out your chicks in their underware (I mean lingerie) series, maybe, since you talk about that in the text, you should bring it above the 'fold' so folks don't need to scroll down to find your 'People' section.

Just about the only problem I have at your site is that each picture, as I clicked on the thumbnails, was opened it's own window, and if I clicked the same one twice, it would open in two different windows. This is because you are using Javascript's window.open command. If you use target="picture" in the html, they will all reuse the same window.

One more slight nit, is that the text on the left side of the page is quite wide, leaving a LARGE blank area down below it as I scrolled down. You might think about putting updates there, blog style. That also encourages repeat visits, as people come back to see wht's new if they perceive things change there.

Oh, and the pix were Great!

3. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I do know what you mean about the seperate window thing, it has been driving me nuts for a while.

I have tried several other things, one other option I tried would open them in the same window, but moved them behind the main page, so you had to click the icon on the task bar to bring it to the front. I will try your idea of target="picture".

Thank you for the suggestion on moving the people section up. The idea on the text area was to put updates there, but then this is my too lazy to update site ;) so I have just never gotten around to it.

Actually, it was just after I completed the site that we got the huge influx of work at my FT job, so I need to rework the site into more of a portfolio.

Thank you again for taking the time to look and give me some comments!