Web site?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VoidRaven, Aug 2, 2007.

1. VoidRaven

VoidRaven

Jul 13, 2006
    Lagrange, OH
    Well, I got lazy last winter and never got around to it but I'm starting to get tired of being asked "do you have a website?"

Plus I figure having a site might help in selling my services and prints.

But the MAIN reason is for sharing with friends and family across the country.

SO, how does one go about creating and hosting one? I haven't done one since college so I've forgotten just about everything I used to know. I can't raw code HTML so I'll need to use some kind of program. And I have no idea where to host, especially since it's going to be strictly for photos.

Everyone here has some pretty impressive sites, so I'm looking for insight and HELP! from people who can explain this stuff to me in simple terms.

2. Don, Try web.com they have website templates that you can use to get you started. Dreamweaver CS3 is a great web design program if you want to create a custom site. Also, do a google search for Dreamweaver photo templates.

Anthony

3. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    As for hosting look at IX web hosting I have been using them for about 2 years now and never had any down time.

Dan

4. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    I now use Blog software to create mine. Much easier! Little to no HTML required. And it's free! www.wordpress.com

5. Don,

There are many companies online who sell website templates as well. All you would need to do is choose the one you like, customize it with your photos and text and voila! You're ready to go. Just google "website templates" and you should get a bunch of hits.

I've also heard good things about hosting with IX but I've never used them myself.

6. ffb2t

ffb2t

Jan 16, 2006
    CA
    If you don't have the programs or skills to build your own, use one of photo hosting sites I listed under the plug n play heading http://7bravo.com/?p=7.

These are the easiest to use and will give your a professional looking site (and th odds of people recognizing a "template" are slim and none. I don't recommend building your own unless a) you have a lot of money to plunk down for a designer/programmer to build something different/unique b) your images/career/pocketbook warrant doing "a", c) you have the skills (basic at least) and/or are willing to spend time to learn how to code.

The sites I listed under plug n play do everything for you (including hosting) and while it is not as cheap as hosting your own on your servers, you can, with most of them, redirect your domain and they do have the advantage of dealing with the server admin/backups and all that good stuff.

If you haven't already registered a domain, I would suggest GoDaddy for that (they are easy to use all around and helpful in terms of customer service (and their CS is not located in India or Russia)), and they offer hosting plans should you at a later date decide to go that way.

I use blog software for one version of my site (as Alex mentioned) however, unless you are willing to stick with the standard templates, you may need to learn some code in order to tweak it to your liking and to make it a platform for your photos.

7. Don, if you're uncomfortable coding your own site, there are lots of options for you from photo hosting services that do most of the work for you. I use the pro account at www.zenfolio.com ($40 U.S. per year) with unlimited storage and you can map your own domain name over to them if you own your own domain. Other services to try off the top of my head:

www.smugmug.com
    www.exposuremanager.com
    www.flickr.com
    www.pbase.com

They all have their good and bad points and most offer a free trial period to test the waters. A search on the Cafe will also net you a lot of info on these sites as well. Cheers!

8. VoidRaven

VoidRaven

Jul 13, 2006
    Lagrange, OH
    Thank you for all the replies so far. Very helpful!

I wouldn't say I'm uncomfortable coding my own site....I literally don't remember how! Back in college I started using FrontPage and then would adjust the raw code from there. But I'm thinking about the time issue here. I'd like to put up a nice, hassle-free site that looks good and is easy to manage. With the missus and I starting to talk about starting a family I better get this done soon or else I'll never get to it!!!

So many things....so little time.......but I'd rather be swamped than bored!