Web Table Trouble

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by sjlarue, Sep 13, 2008.

1. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    I realize that we are all photographers here but some of us have webpages. I have a web development question.

Take a look at my website: www.sjlarue.com

It is a work in progress, but do you see the table on top of the page? It is shared by all of the other pages. I want to make it so all I have to do is edit the table once. So when I add a section, all I have to do is update it once and all of the other pages that use that table would just copy it. How is that done.

Thanks for any help.

2. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    if you are refering to the table of links, what i would do is to use an img placeholder and the ncreate that table as an image with the links in it. You could easily do this in photoshop or somthing to make the image what you want it to be. that would just be a thought.

Btw what program are you using to code with?

3. turtile

turtile

May 12, 2008
    Delaware
    Unless your using a web editor program, I would use CSS. Tables shouldn't be used for the layout for your page. With CSS, you can make one file that is linked on every page. Once you update the CSS file, the layout will update (as long as they're minor changes - no HTML changes).

4. yoose

yoose

May 17, 2008
    Hong Kong
    depends on what you use to code with. but in php you can take the block of code out, put it in another file, say navbar.php and in all the files replace the block of code with
    <?php require("/path/navbar.php") ?>
    so now the code in navbar.php will be inserted in that spot. i am sure you can do it with other languages, but i use php so that is the syntax I am familiar with. you may have to rename your index.html page to index.php so it knows that there is php code to process.

5. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    I'm using Nvu sort of. I can't get it to put in a picture slideshow the way I want it. Soo I get the rest the way I want it and then add the rest.

6. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    I think I'll go the CSS route any good webpages explaining how to do it?

7. isayx3

isayx3

Apr 12, 2008
    Corona, Ca
    CSS would update the style..not the text or link. What you want to do is make the table an include, which can't be done in straight HTML.

8. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    :biggrin:Funny, I was just talking about this with a friend here and he said the same exact thing, I think that that is the best route for what I need.

Thanks everyone
    :biggrin:

9. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    btw as for a program that i like (i know its mostly html but i love using dreamweaver for doing web pages.

10. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    I might look into that after a few years, webpages are new to me and I'm trying to learn all of the ins and outs. Right now with the purchase of my D300 I am all tapped out as far as cash. So I have to learn it the hard way.:biggrin: