Website for pros, studio, lighting and business

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Dragonflydm, Dec 18, 2005.

1. I just revamped my www.photonomics.com website for pros and the serious photographer. It covers, lighting, business, forums, etc.

I would love to get some feedback.

Thanks.

2. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Hey Josh

I spent about 20 minutes going through your website and find it quite informative and easy to navigate. I've bookmarked it for further review when I have more time.

I like that it's almost completely devoid of spelling errors - which is very rare in the world of the web - so congratulations on that. There's just the occasional "loosing" when you should've typed "losing," or "explaination" when you meant "explanation" and "practicle" when you really meant "practical."

Your straight-forward writing style is also refreshing. But be careful not to drift into the smark-alecky side too much. It's really a fine line to walk. Afterall, Ken Rockwell has a lot of useful information on his site. But it's his wise-guy attitude that really ticks people off and, in the end, much of his information gets discredited.

As for the overall look, I like the film strip idea on the left side, but consider using less words inside each panel and make the size of the type bigger and more uniform. For example say: "Business of Photography" and drop the "what you need to know" stuff, because - obviously - it's all about what you need to know.

Also, I'm not sure the dark tan (light brown?) background color in the main panel is very classy looking. Try to find something that goes better with the purple/magenta color at the top of the page. As you know more than most, it's all about the image projected - and those two colors just don't dance together very well.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna try to track down that Bogen/Manfrotto flash bracket that you gave such a great review!

Overall, I say great job!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2005
  3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I looked through the website yesterday and was not quite sure what to say.
    Hate to say nice website. Doesn't really tell you much.

I think John did a great job of the run down and agree with him all the way.

Merry Christmas and Thank you for supplying us with another resource.

4. Website for Pro's

JOsh,

I have'nt read the whole site, but some of it. I agree with the above comments about the colour scheme. Also, while I like the filmstrip idea, I find that the headers inside the filmstrip are blocky and pixelated (I have a 19" monitor.) Crisper images would be better IMHO.

I did read the section on Selling, and prior to discussing content, I wonder if you could help me with some background. Is the interaction you describe between the person selling and the person looking to buy typically as you describe? ie: Buyer: How much do you charge for your wedding shoot? Seller: We have three packages from x to x? This one has this, and that one has that? What would you like?

In other words, who do you expect to be reading this page?

FWIW, I've been in sales for 26 years, helping people to make good buying decisions to resolve problems, so I have an interest in understanding different "sales" strategies. I do agree with you contention that the better sales person asks questions...

Regards,

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    JJ made some good points. Some other observations:

Most designers these days don't use frames. Search engines don't work well with them and it's hard to bookmark specific pages within the site. I used them in my own site a few years ago (and now wish I hadn't).

The site contains a lot of good information, but there is an inconsistant "look and feel" between pages. The BoP information is useful, but presented in an unexciting way. Also, each link in this section opens in a new window for no obvious reason. That's OK if the link takes you to another site.

The images in the navigation bar are confusing because they are not linked to anything (and it is a navigation bar).

On the Home Page, why not also use the (capitalized) descriptions of each section as links?

The Workshops and Seminars page has the most visual impact for me.

The Dragonfly link just goes to an image of your business card. It tells me almost nothing about you or your business.