Website thoughts

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by pirahnah3, Sep 14, 2008.

1. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    I have nbeen looking into starting my own photography site lately and dont know which way i want to go about it.

i have three options i wont expound on them overly much as im sure everyone here knows them all quite well

1. Smugmug thier bsic for $40 per year
    2. Smugmug the next level which gives me the option for myo wn domain name $60 per year
    3. Completly my own website and i have full control for $120 per year (includes domain name in that price)

all three allow me unlimited storage, and unlimited bandwith

Please post your thoughts and ideas and if you have another idea add it to the list, im looking into getting this up and running by the end of january 2009. I have no problems with writting in HTML and have the programs to do it so that isnt an issue to me but just not sure which you all think might be the best method of showing off my work to the world.

2. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

I went w/ smugmug pro. Haven't looked back since.

3. Smugmug for me. I got the pro account.

Nancy

4. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Unless you actually want "powered by SmugMug" to show up every time someone searches for your site go with the 3rd option, the more professional route.

5. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    Actually, you can get your own domain and site for about 1/2 that price.. I use both Aplus.net for $9 a month.. but also have my DAMRoundup site hosted at 1and1 for $5 a month... Great service and I run a full gallery, blog and have total control over the entire thing including multiple private FTP's for clients... I prefer this option.. but if you only want a Gallery - then you could go the smugmug route. Good Luck!

6. Tektrnica

Tektrnica Guest

I have my own site hosted with Sevage, http://www.applebystudios.co.uk (recently changed domain), they are an ok host, plenty of space and traffic, but a terrible, in-house control panel. If you go for hosting try and get one using cPanel.

PS> if anyone clicks that link, yes i know most of the links dont work, the pages havent been re-done from my old site yet, its a WIP) :p

7. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    the host is a good friend of mine and that i wont change if i do it, he hosets a few other things for me as well and im well taken care of as far as tech support nad needs go, im looking for moreideas as far as the images, im thinking at least a (2nd level account) with smugmug if i go that route any one else have some thoughts?

8. AllenOwen

AllenOwen

Aug 14, 2008
    Houston,TX
    I started with Zenfolio.com and haven't had a problem (http://allenowen.zenfolio.com/) . I've since moved on the the dreaded Bludomain (www.allenowenphotography.com). So far so good.

If you want to give Zenfolio a try here's my referral code: CZG-M78-BWX should get you a few bucks off ($5 I think).

9. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    thanks so far guys! i have decided that im going to end up bitting the bullet soon but im still torn, does anyone think it isworth it tobuild the site from scratch??

yes i know the prices i listed are a bit high but as i said before i know the service and everyhtingwill be worth it if i do it from scratch.

10. hey Jim, for the pics I sell back to parents I use Exposure Manager...my site is very basic, but they allow you to customize like crazy, and, to use your own domain name.

(my referral link)

For other hosting, I have my own domain w/ EZHosting (referral http://www.ez-web-hosting.com/go.cgi/wraight]link). I've been w/ them for several years and they're extremely reliable. I use Gallery on their site to host my pics. But I don't sell them.

11. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    as for hosting or using a dedicated photo host.. again - it all comes down to
    a) what you want to do with the site
    b) how technical you are

as for b, most decent hosts have really good control panels these days that let you do most things easily via point and click... but, you will still need to know how to do things like FTP code, setup blogs/galleries, etc.

if you just want to host photos in a gallery, the the photo sites are really good for this. If you want to do more.. then I'd suggest the private hosts.. for $5-9 a month, they are really good and let you do much much more. Good luck!

12. truflip

truflip

Jul 28, 2008
    Ottawa, ON
    i just signed up with smugmug. went with pro .. basically switching over from flickr.

13. If you want a site so that you can show off your work and get more work, I recommend going with a company like www.bludomain.com. Yes, their templates are cookie cutter, but they are fantastic, in my opinion. And for $400 you can't go wrong. I was going to have a site built from scratch but my designer wanted too much $ for everything I wanted that blu had to offer for $400. Since I launched my new site July 1st, I booked around 25 weddings since then. Thanks to my pretty site :)

Oh I also recommend hosting it yourself, and not letting them do the hosting. I host with dreamhost and I can't recommend them enough. If you decide to go with dreamhost, allow me to send you a referral link ;)