1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Websites

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kombi1, Sep 16, 2008.

1. I'm thinkinh of setting up a site, looking at Go Daddy and Start Logic. Does anybody have any personal experiences with either company? or could I get some suggestions, in the future I would like to sell pics on my site.
    Thanks
    kevin

2. As far as domain sales I would go with GoDaddy.... you could go with virtually any host you want.

3. sic1

sic1

Feb 9, 2007
    Chicago IL
    another vote for godaddy.... good price and have never been down even once.

4. schuds

schuds

Dec 4, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Go Daddy is a fine company if you want to purchase a domain name and manage a group of domains. I use them for a number of domains that I manage. The bigger question is figuring out what you really want to do and how much work you want to inflict upon yourself.

Do you have any web experience? In other words, how much of a geek are you? Have you ever put a basic non e-commerce site together from scratch? A commerce photo site (other than Zenfolio Pro or Smugmug Pro) is a rather large undertaking unless you really know what you're doing. I manage an e-commerce site for a living and I maintain three "canned" photo sites, two of which are commerce sites. Unless you're a full-blown make-a-living pro you're wasting your life if you choose to put together anything other than a "canned" photo site such as that available from Zenfolio or Smugmug. There are too many issues and too many expenses involved unless you're a serious professional.

Are you a photographer or a web guy? If you're a photographer, first display and try to sell your photos using a canned site. A Zenfolio Pro site will only cost you $100/year. A Smugmug Pro site will cost you $150/year. Both are extremely small commitments. API's for both can be manipulated to make the site look custom.

If you think you can do it cheaper going the other route, good luck. You're looking at a minimum of about $50 to $75/month if you choose to develop a site yourself with a payment gateway and MC/VISA merchant account. It's not worth the hassle.

All bets are off if you're raking in a boatload of cash off of photography. In that situation, I'd find the best web developer in your area and pay him/her to do your dirty back-end work. Remember, you're a photographer, not a late-night web guy.

Good Luck

5. primoz

primoz

Aug 25, 2008
    Willoughby, Oh
    I've registered about a dozen domain names with Go Daddy and never had a single problem. As for hosting, I've never used Go Daddy so, I can't comment on that.

6. fivegrand

fivegrand Guest

go daddy for name registration, gatorhost for hosting - they can't be beat for price and reliability, and they don't care what you put on it.

7. AdamC

AdamC Guest

Kevin,

I registered my domain with GoDaddy and pointed it at my SmugMug page. Setting up with GoDaddy was painless and I've really enjoyed the help system in SmugMug. I'm no web design expert, but I was able to patch something together using their help database and forum to mildly customize my canned page pretty quickly (and learned some basic html/css in the process.):smile:

8. More reason to register a domain with GoDaddy. Use the coupon code OYH3 to get $3 off ;) 

I use it all the time, I have about 18 or so domains...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.