Websites

Where would be a good place to start to get a website together for photo stuff?

i have a friend that is a computer programmer that has set up a few of his own, he just isn't very motivated and doesn't start stuff right away. haha

i just need to start to get stuff inline for a website/business, nothing fulltime serious stuff, just something to do on the side so please keep the chatter to the topic.

Websites.

I go through Photobiz.com. I love their customer support and features offered. It can however, be a little pricey for something that you are doing on the side. There is a link to my website in my sig if you wanted to take a gander.

I used to use BlueHost.com as my website host and I did my website through iWeb (if you use mac).

My girlfriend goes through SmugMug, but isn't super happy with their 'website' portion of things. If you want to take the time to customize your own though, they can look pretty nice. I have heard good and bad things about Zenfolio, though I know a lot of people here on the cafe use Zenfolio. Perhaps one will chime in and offer more useful insight into that particular service.

Best of luck to you,

Before I make any recommendations, perhaps it would be helpful to know the answers to these questions.

1) Is this site for personal use only? That is, will only be family and friends be viewing the photos?

2) Will the site be for a photography business? If it is for a business what is the type of business? Portrait/Wedding? Architectural? Landscape?

3) How comfortable are you with web design in terms of coding HTML and CSS (Cascading Style Sheets)?

4) How much control do you want to have regarding how the site looks?

5) How concerned are you regarding the quality of the prints, the options for print size and other sale items (mousepads, mugs, tee shirts, etc.)?

6) How concerned are you regarding security of the photos in terms of people linking to the photos are outright downloading them and using them for their own purposes?

I think answers to these questions will help to give a better sense of the intended use of the site and what type of options you want/need from the provider.

Before I make any recommendations, perhaps it would be helpful to know the answers to these questions.

1) Is this site for personal use only? That is, will only be family and friends be viewing the photos?

2) Will the site be for a photography business? If it is for a business what is the type of business? Portrait/Wedding? Architectural? Landscape?

3) How comfortable are you with web design in terms of coding HTML and CSS (Cascading Style Sheets)?

4) How much control do you want to have regarding how the site looks?

5) How concerned are you regarding the quality of the prints, the options for print size and other sale items (mousepads, mugs, tee shirts, etc.)?

6) How concerned are you regarding security of the photos in terms of people linking to the photos are outright downloading them and using them for their own purposes?

I think answers to these questions will help to give a better sense of the intended use of the site and what type of options you want/need from the provider.

been away from the weekend so i can answer now.

1. no not only personal

2. yes business.

3. i haven't done much, but my gf has, and her brother in law would be setting up the site for me, teaching me as we go hopefully.

4. most everything i'd like to change up.

5. at the moment, not going to be "selling" items or prints from my site. thats just for right now, things can always change.

6. i think goes along with 5 a little bit, i'm not concerned to much about the security, like i said, its for the side and not going to be my main source of income. i already have a job with 35-40 hours a week.

I use 1and1 for my web hosting needs. There may be better hosts, but they are one heck of a good place to start out. They are a low cost, but reliable web host. Tech support is 24/7, knowledgeable, and friendly. Tech support is a 1-877 free call. Good, free, tech support is critical to those just starting a site in my opinion.

The basic packages will let you pick your domain name(s) and register the site in one process. If you want to add the bells and whistles like shopping carts and secure albums they have that as additional cost add-ons. You can build the site yourself, use some of the free tools they have, or purchase additional application resources to do the job.

There is a link at the bottom of my site http://www.mike-meek.com that will take you to the current specials they have. You can see in my photo galleries what can be built for no additional cost over the site fee with basic html.

No problem. This helps to give a sense as to options and possible expansions needs down the road so you aren't hopscotching from one site to another.

In terms of sites, let's separate websites into two types.

One is the "photo hosting sites" which run the gamut from flickr.com to SmugMug, Zenfolio and photoshelter. These are good sites where, even with their most basic level, you can upload photos and have a little bit of control over the look of the site. The higher the level of access you pay for, the more control you are provided and the greater functionality you have in terms of the design and layout.

The second type of sites are the strictly "web hosting sites." In essence, you are buying disk space and varying amounts of security and what are called backend services such as e-mail accounts, blog space, ad connections to search engines like Google, database options and options to lock sub-directories and control access to parts of the site. But all of the programing, from the layout of each page using Cascading Style Sheets to pointing to each file from thumbnail to actual image would have to be done by you. A few such companies include 1and1 that Mike mentioned as well as GoDaddy.com and HostGator.

For what it is worth, if you are accessing the Internet through an Internet Service Provider, you may want to see what type of web hosting they may offer inclusive in your plan. However, if you are planning to upload lots of photos and/or large sized photos, this may not work out as most ISPs limit the amount of space you can use and the amount of bandwidth both in-bound and out-bound for each user's website.

In all cases, you are going to need to buy a domain. Most web hosting services are going to allow you to buy domains through them. Once you do that, you can "point" the domain to where the actual site is located on the web. If you go the route of a photo hosting site, then you need to follow their directions to make certain the domain is pointing to the right part of their server cluster. If you buy space with a web hosting site along with the domain, then you have one less step to complete.

For my personal (non-photography) site, I actually built the pages and host them on my ISP's server with the domain name pointing to the URL of the site location. For my photography site, I went with SmugMug because of the types of prints available and the control they offer in terms of page design and the opportunity for unlimited storage. For my business site (non-photography), I went with GoDaddy.com and have been pleased with the 100% uptime the site has had for the last three years.

I hope this gives you a start. I'm sure there are others in the Cafe who can make additional recommendations regarding possible hosting services they have used as well.

Thanks for the information Marc, i've been working on getting a logo made and a lot of the small details figured out yet, godaddy and bluehost are the 2 sites i'm considering at the moment.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom