Wedding assignment post mortem

Frank.

You're a man of obvious ability, and you are humble with your success and see your shortcomings through a sharp lens.

That, my friend, is admirable to say the least.

Great work...look at the RRS flash bracket, pricey but really great piece of kit. You won't regret it for a minute.

:D

Hey Frank,

Let me join the choir to congratulate you on a job very well done. Indeed, the bride's mother compliments must make you proud and deservely so. 8)

I am impressed that you could handle all these difficult lighting situations, related so well to all the participants, did it all by yourself, and didn't miss anything ... and besides, shot it all in JPEG! :)

Chris101 said:
Those are great Frank - I know you're proud, especially when the client agrees so vehemently, eh?
Hey, she may be uninformed, but there's no way I'm going to argue with a valued customer :lol:.

But I'd especially like to thank you for exposing your pitfalls. Especially checking the iso - I'm thinking I should write that on the back of my camera.
I'm going to write it on the back of my camera too. When I showed the couple this shot, I cringed, knowing that I could have
stopped the action if I had only pumped up the ISO. It's the worst image included in their gallery.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

But they never noticed the motion blur and oversharpening, and loved the capture.

That raises an interesting point. Within the community, we hold our standards incredibly high, which is appropriate. It also
helps prepare us for real world shoots, because even if we fall short of our own standards, we've probably surpassed the
client's. Unless its an agency art director.

Re: Frank.

MikeG said:
You're a man of obvious ability, and you are humble with your success and see your shortcomings through a sharp lens.

That, my friend, is admirable to say the least.

Great work...look at the RRS flash bracket, pricey but really great piece of kit. You won't regret it for a minute.

:D
You're too kind, Mike, but thanks :). I'll definitely look into the RRS bracket.

Philippe Roger said:
I am impressed that you could handle all these difficult lighting situations, related so well to all the participants, did it all by yourself, and didn't miss anything ... and besides, shot it all in JPEG! :)
If the opportunity should arise again, I'm going to do my best to persuade you to work the event with me, mon ami 8).

Btw, I learned another lesson. While I'll continue to use jpg for the PJ portions of a wedding, I'll definitely shoot
the formals in RAW. This time, my stubbornness cost me many hours of unnecessary Photoshop work :?.

UncleFrank said:
If the opportunity should arise again, I'm going to do my best to persuade you to work the event with me, mon ami 8).
If the schedule works, I'm game! 8) I'll be just happy to not be the one and only photographer: I don't need that kind of pressure and the idea of spoiling someone's most treasured memories, all by myself, does not suit me very well! ;-)

UncleFrank said:
Btw, I learned another lesson. While I'll continue to use jpg for the PJ portions of a wedding, I'll definitely shoot
the formals in RAW. This time, my stubbornness cost me many hours of unnecessary Photoshop work :?.
Ah! I'm glad that you are seeing the light, my friend! :lol: Have you given RawMagick a try yet?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

No, but I've downloaded a program called Raw Shooter Essentials that seems to do the job pretty well. Have you tried it?

Frank,

Yes, I have tried RawShooter Essentials, and also Capture, PS/CS (ACR) and RawMagick. I am having the most trouble (with color fidelity) with RSE. It has a slick user interface, however, and this is the fastest of them all, but I am not entirely sure about the quality it produces.

For absolute best results (and absolute slowest speed too!), RM is it, and I like Capture for the workflow, having read Ron Reznick's ebook... ACR is ok: its main advantage is unified workflow, in a single application.

Nice job, Frank and it seems like a good analysis for future learning.

As for brackets - The custom bracket is very nice and easy to use. It is a bit bulky. If the lotto comes through the RRS system is amazing.

If you really got into it, adding a few SB-800's with lightstands and umbrellas can really help the formals. But then you need to add an assistant!

Your PJ shots are great, as you obviously captured some wonderful moments.

Tom

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom