Wedding assignment post mortem

I handed the deliverables over to the clients on Sunday, and have had a day to reflect on the assignment. Here's a few thoughts that might be helpful to other newbie wedding photographer.

Being the prime wedding photographer was a pressure cooker, but was a glorious experience. Rather than just being an observer, I was part of the ceremonies, and was allowed to share in a wonderful array of emotions over the course of the day.

42609423.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I handled the PJ aspects of the shoot OK, but need improvement in my technique for the formal shots. I'll probably use a backdrop and a light kit the next time around.

View attachment 8149

I didn't take advantage of the high ISO capabilities of my camera during the indoor shoots. I was too conservative, setting the ISO @ 200, and that resulted in unnecesarily slow shutter speeds. Next time I'll use ISO500 for all interior shots.

View attachment 8150

I have an sc29 sync cord, but didn't use it. I was just uncomfortable holding the flash in one hand, and the camera in the other. I'm going to look into a flash bracket, so I can avoid casting shadows directly behind the subjects.

View attachment 8151

Other than these items, it was all good :). My advanced scouting trip paid great results, particularly in the chapel, where every shot was backlit. Pre-determining the flash settings necessary to narrow the dynamic range allowed me to concentrate on the subjects, and still get them and the background properly exposed.

View attachment 8152

My biggest reward of the adventure was the comments from the mothers of the bride and groom. I knew from the start that they would be my biggest critics. Here's what the bride's mom wrote:

"Uncle Frank you have created a beatiful chronology of Nici & Cody's wedding that this family will always cherish. Your immense talent is evident in the artistry and sensitivity you brought to the scenes. Thank you for this extraordinary gift... "

View attachment 8153

:oops: :oops: :oops: Wow, that's almost as good as a paycheck 8). I'm encouraged to try another wedding... someday.

View attachment 8154

Real Name
John DeSanto
Hey Frank, great shots!

Personally, I think you did a fabulous job with the shoot. I looked through the pbase album a couple of days ago and was very impressed. Just now, my wife (she spent several years as an assistant to a wedding photog in Philly) and I looked through them again and she was impressed.

Glad to see you got the SC-29, also.

K

Ken-L

Very nice shots! They are lucky to have you.

Several years ago my older brother made our wedding photos his gift. He used the most incredibly expensive Leica film camera and all the do-dads...that coupled with 25-ASA film and low light conditions at the church resulted in maybe 4 "half-way-decent" prints! Few shots were in focus and the exposures were awful!

Re: Hey Frank, great shots!

jjdesanto1 said:
Personally, I think you did a fabulous job with the shoot. I looked through the pbase album a couple of days ago and was very impressed. Just now, my wife (she spent several years as an assistant to a wedding photog in Philly) and I looked through them again and she was impressed.

That's very kind of you, John. Please give my regards to your bride :).

Glad to see you got the SC-29, also.

Unfortunately, having one and knowing how to use it are two different things. I'm going to have to get you to give me lessons.

Ken-L said:
Several years ago my older brother made our wedding photos his gift. He used the most incredibly expensive Leica film camera and all the do-dads...that coupled with 25-ASA film and low light conditions at the church resulted in maybe 4 "half-way-decent" prints! Few shots were in focus and the exposures were awful!

Uh oh. That's a nightmare for all parties involved.

Did you wife ever forgive him?

Frank,

I'm very impressed, but not at all surprised. Knowing you the way I do, and yes, it is almost completely through the Cafe, I know how methodical you are. This definitely paid off for you and for these families.

Congratulations on a job very well done!!

PS - Thanks for the Post Mortem. This was very informative. :wink:

If you had done a poor job I wouldn't say anything. If you had done a very good job, I would tell you.
Uncle Frank, you did a very good job.
Flash bracket~ buy the lightest one you can find and make sure you can go from vertical to horizontal without taking the darned thing apart... :)
Jarrell

B

budguinn

Frank....very nice work....conveys a very nice wedding and will let them relive it.

Frank, a job well done, and I know the pressure. I have one to do this summer for the father of the groom - and he's a photographer!!! :( Talk about pressure!
Frank, you might want to look at a wrist strap for such occasions. I got one and it sure takes the weight off your fingers for all the hand-held shots.
You did a great job. Cheers

Frank, really enjoyed the commentary and how your put this thread together. It was very well thought out and valuable for anyone wanting or willing to take on such a huge responsibility. You only get one kick at the cat. Great pics too in capturing the moment. GREAT job and thank you for sharing!

Real Name
Chris
Those are great Frank - I know you're proud, especially when the client agrees so vehemently, eh? But I'd especially like to thank you for exposing your pitfalls. Especially checking the iso - I'm thinking I should write that on the back of my camera.

Latest threads

Top Bottom