Wedding B&W and Spot Color

I've been beat up recently regarding my use of flash :wink: so I thought I'd post a natural light shot from my most recent wedding. I need to know if the B&W conversion is any good and if the spot color is any good as well. I have the critique icon on so don't hold back...

379460353_5oZEz-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

379459369_KbGV4-L.jpg

It looks eerie when we light a face from below,

83740816.gif

That's because it doesn't fit with our expectations that light arrives from above. I think the same thing is true of white vignettes. I expect vignettes to be dark, and when they aren't, they strike me as "awkward" and artificial.

The b&w conversion looks fine. What method did you use?

And you did a neat job on the selective color, but the colored areas are large and very saturated. The colors distracted me from the subjects rather than enhancing them.

I hope you'll get some more comments now that the thread is bumped. These are subjective calls, and I may just be too conservative to appreciate the artistic stuff.

I've been beat up recently regarding my use of flash

Low level ambient light works just fine for boutique shooters trying for a couple of good shots at an event. But I've never met a pro wedding photographer who didn't use flash. It's the only way to harvest large quantities of high quality images in crappy light.

B&W looks good. I would maybe bump brightness up a hair. Lose the vignette. I am not sure about the selective color. You did a good job but my eye wants to jump back and forth between them. I think the decrease saturation point was a good one.

Thanks UF. They were looking out of a doorway that is deep so there was no downward lighting. But I didn't think it was lit from below. Maybe there is some bounced lighting from the sidewalk... ???

I'll try a darker vignette as well.

I used the Channel Mixer in CS2 to convert to B&W. Sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesn't... :rolleyes:

I hear you about the flash but I have seen some great ambient light wedding shots lately. I realize that the bulk of my shots will certainly be flashed but I'm going to strive to get some keeper ambient light shots as well.

It looks eerie when we light a face from below,
The b&w conversion looks fine. What method did you use?

And you did a neat job on the selective color, but the colored areas are large and very saturated. The colors distracted me from the subjects rather than enhancing them.

I hope you'll get some more comments now that the thread is bumped. These are subjective calls, and I may just be too conservative to appreciate the artistic stuff.

Low level ambient light works just fine for boutique shooters trying for a couple of good shots at an event. But I've never met a pro wedding photographer who didn't use flash. It's the only way to harvest large quantities of high quality images in crappy light.

Thanks UF. They were looking out of a doorway that is deep so there was no downward lighting. But I didn't think it was lit from below. Maybe there is some bounced lighting from the sidewalk... ???

Jim, I was using the story and sample of a pictures lit from below to make the point about viewer expectations as related to vignettes. I didn't mean to suggest that your picture was lit from below. Sorry if I confused you.

Sorry if I confused you.

LOL! As I'm sure you know by now, confusing me is not all that hard to do... :confused: :wink:

Are these more like what you'd expect?

380063753_THS7o-L.jpg

(Less saturated colors)
380063754_JBFP5-L.jpg

Hi Jim

I'm not the biggest fat of selective color but it seems to almost be a given that there will be one of the bouquet - I think you've done a nice job.

I agree with the other posters on the vignette - black is better, white feels a little dated to me. I would try a more subtle vignette rather than an almost matted feel. The large vignettes also seem a little dated to me.

Hi, Jim -- I'm on the fence with the vignette: the original (white) one worked fine for me -- although I would perhaps make it larger so not to impinge upon the subjects so much. The black vignette also looks nice (although again too "tight" around the couple, IMHO).

Makes one wonder whether the image might perhaps be better without vignette, but instead with slight edge-darkening??? YMMV, of course...

Best Regards,

Makes one wonder whether the image might perhaps be better without vignette, but instead with slight edge-darkening??? YMMV, of course...

Best Regards,

Thanks John!

Here is the original pic:

379460255_L4NoS-L.jpg

I think the suggestion to go darker with the vignette is a good one, but not too much. Just touch on the corners a bit.

I like the toned down color select best of the two. You did a good job on this. I don't do color select unless my bride specifically requests it (which some still do). I guess it is my but it just got to be so "gichy" and I was tired of seeing it everywhere.

For what's supposed to be the happiest day of their lives, they look morbidly somber.

LOL! I guess that's one way of looking at it...

I guess you didn't see this one:
379452699_F7iS5-L.jpg

I think the suggestion to go darker with the vignette is a good one, but not too much. Just touch on the corners a bit.

I like the toned down color select best of the two. You did a good job on this. I don't do color select unless my bride specifically requests it (which some still do). I guess it is my but it just got to be so "gichy" and I was tired of seeing it everywhere.

Thanks Cindy. The bride specifically asked for B&W, Sepia and spot colored shots.

Latest threads

Top Bottom