Wedding coordinator asked for samples

I have it in my contract I (the wedding photographer) reserves the right to publish or display any image. Today a past wedding clients wedding coordinator emailed me asking to see the images and want to publish some

The bride works a police dispatch and her husband is a officer for that area. I've left a voicemail and email today with out a reply, informing (the bride) the coordinator wants to publish some images

I'm not sure if the bride will approve

I'm not sure if I go ahead and let the coordinator use some, even tho she signed TWO contracts approving image can be used for display and publication

Any thoughts???

typically when you have that statement in your contract it is for promotion of you own business, not someone elses. My contract celarly states that. I would try to get the brides permission.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't do this without the bride's permission. Dan is right. If you were promoting your photography business it would not be an issue. Using her images to promote someone else's business is really a commercial venture.

You probably have a legal right to turn the images over, but you really should check with the bride first.

If the contract is between you and the bride/groom, I would think that the coordinator would need to have the bride/groom's permission also prior to using the images. I would not think that your contract would allow you to give the images to another business (the coordinator).

update... 1015AM

Well I've called the Bride and grooms cell phone.
Msg with groom informing him their coordinator want to use a couple shots for him to call my cell asap
Msg with bride informing her the coordinator want to use some images. and has sent me a copy of the contract between Bride
and Coordinator with approval to use any image

"8) Display Rights:
(Coordinators company name) reserves the right to use photos or videos from your event for and not limited
to promotion, display, advertisement Internet and or publication. Initial: ES (brides)"

I'll give the Bride Groom another 24 hours, (We) Photographer and Coordinator have signed contracts for using images display or promo
and I have left msg and email contacting B/G informing them. If they have a problem with display or promo I've given adequate time
for them to reply with YES/NO / or only select images

"8) Display Rights:
(Coordinators company name) reserves the right to use photos or videos from your event for and not limited
to promotion, display, advertisement Internet and or publication Initial: ES (brides)"

The way I read this, it's the images that the coordinators take that they can use those images, not someone else's...that's pretty slick if they think they can use a 3rd party's images.

Yes, I read it the same way as well. You, the photographer, can use images you take. The coordinators can use images they take but they have no rights over your images. I'd be careful on this. Just because the coordinator has a clause in their contract doesn't mean you can release your images to them. Your original post states that you're not sure the bride will approve. Wait for that approval before doing anything. This isn't life and death that it has to be solved immediately.

Years ago (1995 to 2000) I worked with a high end photographer and every couple wedding I pull images for Coordinators, Florist and Bands we
would send cool 8x10 prints with the direction of the photographer. Never had a problem often it was my photograph with my camera and
his film / client

I'll wait and call client again tomorrow

Suxs, I could miss a free advertisement all over a client not returning my call...

maybe they are not married anymore? EEK :(

Considering their public jobs, I would have the coordinator get their permission in writing and give a copy to you. He/she needs the release, not you. You already have one.

Coordinator had it in her contract under "Display right"

My problem was I did not have permission to give the images to anyone else

Bride emailed her approval, issue resolved

hopefully this post will help someone else seeking publication and displays

I'm glad that your issue has been resolved, but I have a question. If the bride says YES and the groom says NO, who would you follow?

I'm glad that your issue has been resolved, but I have a question. If the bride says YES and the groom says NO, who would you follow?

As long as one of the two says NO you'd still be liable if you go ahead anyway. Even if you'd be legally right (you did get permission after all), would you want to risk the groom badmouthing you and ruining future business?

Good legal Question, (I'm replying with what I think is good judgment - I'm not an Attorney ) I left msg with B&G and Bride replied yes. Both were given a opportunity so say Yes or No. The bride was the original signer of the contract and she replied yes to coordinator samples

Considering their public jobs, I would have the coordinator get their permission in writing and give a copy to you. He/she needs the release, not you. You already have one.

What I was thinking . I photographed a wedding and was asked afterwards not to display the images anywhere as he was a cop and there would be people that he wouldn't want to know who his wife was .

Latest threads

Top Bottom