Wedding Fright

Probably by someone who understood that once you saw the light, you'd be able to get a 400/2.8 :-D

Paul
Dangerous Man!

I've only been shooting 2 months and I'm already prepping the wife for the new 70-200 f/2.8 VR2 and perhaps a 24-70 f/2.8 to go with it. :) (and who knows...maybe a wide angle lens too!)

This hobby is addicting!!! 2 months ago I thought a Canon xSi with the kit lens would be more camera than I'd ever want (sorry, but yes I was considering a Canon at one time). I guess it's like Bill Gates once stating no one would ever require more than 1 mb of hard drive space!

I'm on my third marriage (this ones a keeper.)

Don't know about you, but I don't think it would be fun to run $6000 of wedding photos through the shredder.

All the money that folks spend on a wedding doesn't have any bearing on how the end product turns out.

My wifes niece got married a few years back, her folks spent about $10G on the wedding, I think it lasted less than a year, flush.

I'm on my third marriage (this ones a keeper.)

Don't know about you, but I don't think it would be fun to run $6000 of wedding photos through the shredder.

All the money that folks spend on a wedding doesn't have any bearing on how the end product turns out.

My wifes niece got married a few years back, her folks spent about $10G on the wedding, I think it lasted less than a year, flush.
Good for our wedding planning business :) (I'm kidding, of course)

Real Name
Chris
Best idea I've heard for weddings recently is to hand out disposable cameras to the guests. I may just try that one next year when I am ... :rolleyes:doing another wedding:rolleyes:.

I hired a backup photographer for the last (and possibly the Last) wedding I photographed. She got the better deal, even though I made more than twice as much from it. But to just shoot, then turn over the memory cards and collect the dough is nice! I'd like to be a professional back-up shooter.
ha well i'm not sure if he was getting paid since it was for a good friend's sister. he got free flights and meals and lodging (courtesy of me) while here and some gifts.

i didn't get paid for anything...i was happy to shoot for the family since they are close friends.

Best idea I've heard for weddings recently is to hand out disposable cameras to the guests. I may just try that one next year when I am ... doing another wedding.
they had disposable cameras on the tables. close to the end of the night i walked around and found some that didn't have all the film used up so i took it upon myself to go around and snap pics of people with the disposables since I had already put away my camera.

Best idea I've heard for weddings recently is to hand out disposable cameras to the guests. I may just try that one next year when I am ... :rolleyes:doing another wedding:rolleyes:.
They did have an old-school Polaroid camera that they were using to take pics and make a "photo guest book". It was a really good idea and the pics were awesome from it.

Went to a wedding a few years ago where they had the disposable cameras at the reception. Had them all over the palce. At first I thought it was a stupid idea. Talk about an icebreaker, folks had more fun with them. Never did see what photos they got out of the deal, but we sure had fun. Free beer and a bunch of cameras, a good time was had by all.

No, but you *do* expect the Bulgarian duo to bring their own Casiotone, though, don't you?

(edit: I'm not making fun of Bulgarian musicians - I know Bulgaria has very high standards of music education and extremely high general knowledge of music and almost everybody plays an instrument at impressive level, but they ARE cheap to hire...)

say it as you mean it ime not offended, then ime not bulgarian :wink:

dont just blame the shooter the client should do some homework as well

I had a flash for my last wedding, but I prefer not to use them because I don't know how to use them well!

My D700 with primes can easily tackle most venues. ISO 6400 turns out decent enough. I just can't stand yellow casted light and it's been a challenge to process around that to get correct skin tones.

and equipment is only a possible indicator of knowledge/talent

i was shooting a d700 with a 50mm at a concert the other day.

when this chap starts danceing around with a new d3,24-70,sb900 and a monopod.
he didnt even bounce flash of the low ceiling but straight into the eyes of the band.:eek:

:confused:

and equipment is only a possible indicator of knowledge/talent

i was shooting a d700 with a 50mm at a concert the other day.

when this chap starts danceing around with a new d3,24-70,sb900 and a monopod.
he didnt even bounce flash of the low ceiling but straight into the eyes of the band.:eek:

:confused:
See, this is where this all breaks down. The OP, and supporting posters were not indicating the equipment (and lack thereof) had anything to do with talent, just capability.

If you don't have the appropriate capability then you're not likely to get the correct results no matter what your talent level. Wedding pros don't haul $15,000 of gear around to substitute for talent, but to provide the capabilities necessary for good pictures at the kinds of places people tend to have weddings and receptions at.

If the OP had been outdoors, or in a well-lit venue I doubt they'd have mentioned the slow lens and lack of flash at all (though fill flash still makes for better results it doesn't at least suggest a baseline that's lower than it might otherwise be.)

Paul

See, this is where this all breaks down. The OP, and supporting posters were not indicating the equipment (and lack thereof) had anything to do with talent, just capability.

If you don't have the appropriate capability then you're not likely to get the correct results no matter what your talent level. Wedding pros don't haul $15,000 of gear around to substitute for talent, but to provide the capabilities necessary for good pictures at the kinds of places people tend to have weddings and receptions at.

If the OP had been outdoors, or in a well-lit venue I doubt they'd have mentioned the slow lens and lack of flash at all (though fill flash still makes for better results it doesn't at least suggest a baseline that's lower than it might otherwise be.)

Paul

Exactly Paul. I'm sure the pictures from the outdoor wedding and formals (outdoor) were awesome. It was just REALLY REALLY dark in the reception and it was late at night. All the talent in the world would make it difficult to make those pictures look great with no flash and an f/3.5 max aperture lens. The photographer could be (and probably is) really talented at what she does. That's why I decided to grab a few shots with my 35mm f/1.8 of the details of the reception (and I have the opposite problem: a fast lens but no talent!) :tongue:

Ha. I'll be on my second marriage (and $10k spent on this hobby) in no time :) I'll stay away from the birds for now......
Just tell her that if she _really_ understood and cared, she'd support your passion fully, and by the way does she think her sister would model for some "artistic" shots?

;)

Paul "Single" Robertson

Just tell her that if she _really_ understood and cared, she'd support your passion fully, and by the way does she think her sister would model for some "artistic" shots?

;)

Paul "Single" Robertson
The way it's going she's going to be running a successful business only to fund my new obsession. Seems fair, right?

The way it's going she's doing to be running a successful business only to fund my new obsession. Seems fair, right?
She's very lucky to have such a liberated partner! Many men would be resentful and insist on being the breadwinners! She should be happy to get you that 400/2.8 AND a new D3x to go with it!

Paul

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom