Wedding Fright

So I attended a wedding yesterday as an assistant to my wife who is a wedding planner. We were responsible for only coordinating the day of the wedding and had no input into the vendors chosen for the event.

I usually shoot some pictures of the venue, the couple and mainly the details (programs, centerpieces, etc.) for my wife's website. When I pulled out my equipment (which is, by no means, impressive) the professional photographer for the event commented "oh geez...I really have to get a flash someday". My heart stopped. The reception was inside of a dimly-lit barn and even my 35 f/1.8 was having trouble capturing the images. She only carried one lens with her (18-200mm f/3.5-5.6)! How do you market yourself as a professional wedding photographer and not have even the most basic of equipment - a flash!?!

I believe she has a "pay what you can afford" price policy. I really want to avoid bad-mouthing her because she was a really nice woman and had really good intentions. I just think she was out of her league with shooting a wedding in low light conditions. She would probably make an awesome second shooter for a while to build experience.

No flash?! Whoa! I have 2 of them and don't do weddings YET. Dunno if I'd ever do one, but good grief, I can't help but cringe at what the couple may see when they get their photos. I hope the lady will use her $$ to buy at least 1 flash.

I was at a wedding last year and brought along my gear to take some snaps because the bride is extended family. The 'photographer' who was hired had a canon slr shooting film with tiny camera moutned flash and a small digital point and shoot. She took no pictures at the reception where I just went crazy and fortunately the wedding couple were very pleased with what I got. It does amaze me though at some people who claim to be wedding photographers, but obviously have either not done their research on what basic equipment is required or are simply not that interested in producing great results.

Funny you say that. The photographer yesterday also has a P&S as a backup. I just feel bad for the uninformed couple who thought they were getting a great deal by having someone inexpensive take their pictures. I got about 50 pics that I will pass onto the couple that I would be happy with if it was my wedding...hopefully the photographer got at least 50 decent pics so they have at least 100 of their wedding to make an album from.

How's the public to know what a professional wedding kit looks like? All they have to go by is price and sample pictures. I'd assume the samples are hi-graded---the best of the best. They probably see a "10.1 MEGApixel P&S" and say-- "Wow, I bet that takes good pictures!"

it amazes me, good wedding photography is not cheap if they skimp on it its down to them.
your not going to get the rolling stones to play for £200 are you?

We had a similar experience. My wife brought her P/S to take some pictures of our grandson. She took several of the bride and groom, one of which became the official wedding photo. As for the "pro", some days you get what you pay for.

When I pulled out my equipment (which is, by no means, impressive) the professional photographer for the event commented "oh geez...I really have to get a flash someday". My heart stopped. The reception was inside of a dimly-lit barn and even my 35 f/1.8 was having trouble capturing the images. She only carried one lens with her (18-200mm f/3.5-5.6)! How do you market yourself as a professional wedding photographer and not have even the most basic of equipment - a flash!?!

Maybe she has Audrey Woulard-esque talent of nailing the correct exposures everytime.. ALL THE TIME! And without using flash! :eek: But did you at least offered your SB-600 for her to borrow?

I've seen several people with websites showing mediocre at best pictures with huge descriptions of themselves as professionals (one even says "certified professional", whatever that means), phone numbers, and inviting people to hire them for all kinds of things.

You don't need to have a van full of top-end equipment to do a decent job, but these people have websites with stuff that I swear looks as bad as pictures taken with an old 110 or APS camera - and that include out of focus. If they can't even realize their work is lousy, how on earth are they going to provide a decent product to the customer?

Ok, rant over :)

I did offer...then realized she was shooting Canon. Would have been happy to let her borrow my speedlight and/or the f/1.8 lens - for the sake of the couple's happiness with the shots.

I've seen her work on her website. no Woulard here.

Wow, I feel bad for the couple :(

A wedding shooter with a 18-200 and no flash.. oh boy. If that's all you need to become a "wedding photographer" then I'm all set.. HAH -_-

Wow! im not even close to being a wedding photographer yet, My first isnt for another 5 or 6 months, and i have two flashes, and will bring 4-5 lenses with me, and maybe 2-3 bodies!

Latest threads

Top Bottom