wedding nightmare!!

So yesterday two of my good friends from high school got married. I took their engagements and they asked me to shoot their bridal portraits too. I would have shot the whole wedding, but I was a groomsmen. So we had a friend help when I couldn't shoot (not the nightmare, but only good "workable" images) and survived. But the real nightmare came BEFORE the wedding.

I have been ordering lenses to use at weddings this summer, as I couldn't yet afford a nice 70-200. I was planning on ordering one in the fall after another wedding, but couldn't really get one now. But when the lens didn't come on Wednesday like I wanted, I was worried. Found out on thursday that my order date was completely wrong. I had ordered the nikon 70-200 for almost a month too late and all they had left was the 80-400 3.5-5.6 VR. better than the 70-300 non vr i have, but not as fast as I wanted. The lady said she would overnight it to me, but come Friday night I had no lens, and FedEx had no record of anything being shipped. So I called again and she assured me it had been shipped. She offered to send another 80-400 overnight to get hear by 9 or 10 AM Saturday, but they had FedEx had failed me before, and I couldnt trust it for sure.

So Saturday morning I left as soon as the bank opened to get my money, and drove for an hour both ways to buy a Tamron 70-200...and had to get back before noon, so we could get ready and start pictures by 1.

I ended up getting back before the bride got to the church...and pictures flowed well and I had no lens problems, and I have a new lens, and a smaller bank account and low cash for the summer! yay! Disaster avoided, yielding high stress!

wow sounds like some hectic week for you. i am glad everything turned out alright. did the original lens you ordered ever turn up? are you going to post some pictures as well? =)

i still havent seen it. im sort of hoping it still will, would be fun to get some shots of a woodpecker that has been avoiding me in the back yard. but i will probably post up a few...but i have a few to finish from another shoot before i even touch them!

I hope at least you get paid :eek:

No kidding. If I were not getting paid, I would not have gone through the trouble. No way I would be taking a financial loss like this as a favor, especially if I were in the wedding party. They would have to be happy with the results with the gear I had.

i got paid a little, but not even close to what i charge for a normal wedding. but ive known these people since i was a kid, and i know their families (and their current hard core financial struggles) so i felt bad charging full price. but i will be able to make it. another wedding will replace the cash and i get my lens now!

Sound like you lived up to your name GiantDave and I'm sure your friends will be eternally grateful for your efforts.

Glad to hear all turned out well.

Something seems funny about this company that you were buying the lens from. Just seems like too many mishaps. Glad it worked out in the end.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Have you purchased from this company before? If not, you might want to check www.resellerratings.com to see if they are listed and rated. We have read many stories here about some of those New York "discount" houses that are all run by just a few people under multiple names and often don't come through with the deals they advertise.

i have used the rental place before. and after i looked at my receipt i did order the lens on the wrong day. they did all they could to help me out...but i am pretty sure fedex is to blame for not getting the overnight shipping. and i have used, and been delayed, by fedex before. but now i have the lens and no need to rent!

Latest threads

Top Bottom