Wedding photo help

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Donniec, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Donniec

Donniec

Jan 6, 2007
    Harvest, Alabama
    Donnie Claxton
    These are some pictures from my niece's wedding. I have recently purchased Photoshop CS3 after using Elements for several years. I wasn't an expert with Elements but I got tired of seeing how-to lessons in magazines, etc., show how it was done in Photoshop and not be able to follow exactly along with the tutorial. Anyway, I have worked on these pictures and I am asking for suggestions on how to make them better. I have seen what some of you guys can do with images and am just amazed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That second image is beautiful

Can't comment on the b/w... I am not a fan or know enough about it.

3. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Hello,

I will start with the first two images,

The first shot I actually haven't seen before, and I find it unique, and for myself I would only do a bit further post processing sharpening, for Print it may be fine, but It seems to get a bit better 3D look with a light sharpening on this web sized shot.

In the second image I first did a USM or unsharpen Mask on the entire image then went back and did some blur work on the skin. I was wanting to leave the eyes, mouth and hair fairly sharp, however I found you needed some work on the skin. A good tutorial is Woody's here: http://tutiki.nikoncafe.com/w/index.php/Beautiful_Skin_by_Czechman I would also suggest working on hot spots on the cheeks and chin, I did this some on your post, but not much on the small file in your post, and doing a better job around the eyes, I just did a quick fix, and not detail around the eyes.

I also added a vignette look to the image by brushing a Gausian blur around the image which draws the focus to the main subject, but this allows some of the flowers around her face to remain sharp and actually sharper than in your post.

hope these thoughts help

Wade

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

your orig:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2007
  4. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Peano,

Like your toning on the shot, the muting around the frame adds so much.

Wade

5. Nice work, Peano.
    Thanks for explaining on your approach and post processing.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful work Peano

7. Donniec

Donniec

Jan 6, 2007
    Harvest, Alabama
    Donnie Claxton
    Commodorefirst and Peano,

Thanks to both of you for the comments, suggestions and rework. Peano, really nice touch on the hair and eyes.

8. I would suggest a different crop on image #3. I also added a little contrast.

My tweaked version:

original.

Your original for comparison:

[​IMG]

To me this gives this new couple a path ahead in their married life.

9. djtexus

djtexus

Feb 24, 2006
    I did all of the standard post processing. I didn't care for all of the hands in the frame so I took the liberty to remove them and replace them with more flowers.

original.

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Tht b/w is alot better Peano
    Boy what a great creative eye and talent you have.

11. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    No not to "hallmarkish" at all Peano! I like it and it looks good done the same in a BW duotone,

The last BW shot I darkened the background behind the bride and groom, I left the crop alone, I think it looks pretty good as is, please note that the dress is blown and lost highlights, might be able to do better with the full size raw image,

I brightened up their faces and upper body to provide separation from the background. I did darken the background too because I didn't like the tones being similar throughout the entire image, drew your eyes away from the subjects, a touch of levels work, converted to a pure duotone, and some sharpening on the couple for the web.

Really am a face guy, so that is why I went for the look I did here. You could do some replacement work on the dress, but I didn't do but a little here on the lowres file.

orig:

[​IMG]

worked: and also leveled too:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2007
  12. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    nope, with my merlot it took a minute to see it too! Corrected a smidge in the post above, just a degree or two, took my cue off of the top and bottom step, and I also got rid of the step in front, was distracting my eye a bit,

13. Donniec

Donniec

Jan 6, 2007
    Harvest, Alabama
    Donnie Claxton
    Peano, it may be tilted. It was hot and I was getting dehydrated. You and Commodorefirst are great. Thanks a lot.

Djtexas, great idea on the hands.