Wedding photographers recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Odonata, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Hi all! Although the engagement will be happening later this week (shhh, it's still a surprise!), we are beginning the planning stages. We are thinking of having the wedding in the Phoenix or Sedona (Arizona) area in the fall of 2006. While I have seen a number of wedding photographers in the area, does anyone have any recommendations? We just need simple, still photography and won't be doing the video thing. We are heading down to AZ next week and I was thinking if we had some time, I wanted to check out a few photographers. Please feel free to PM or respond to this thread.

Thanks in advance!

-Eugene

2. Congratulations, Gene! I hope you asked your future father-in-law for his blessing. It may seem old fashioned, but it's a great way to start your relationship with the out-laws on the right foot.

I live in San Jose, CA, but I shot 2 weddings in Arizona this year... one in Sedona, and the other in the Phoenix area at the Circle Bar Ranch. Both brilliant locations, and I'd be hard pressed to pick between them. Here''s a link to a gallery for each, to give you some idea.

http://www.pbase.com/unclefrank/cnwedding
    http://www.pbase.com/unclefrank/jodisean

3. Well Eugene...I think the photographer you are looking for is right here. It's Uncle Frank...He shoots weddings, hire him. He did a great job on the weddings he has done so far...What do you think Uncle Frank...Is this something you want to tackle???

Well I thought I would help you both:biggrin:

4. That's sweet of you, Catz, but I wasn't trolling for business. I think Gene would be better off with a local photographer at whichever location he chooses. They'd be able to offer more help in setting up the venue, and, by the time I added travel and accomodation expenses to my customary modest fees, my price would be pretty high. But he has to find the right local... from the standpoints of technique and style... and, most importantly, somebody that he can "connect" with. Rapport is the secret sauce in making great wedding pics :cool:.

5. Thanks Uncle Frank and Catz. I was hoping there were a few members in the Phoenix area that did wedding photography. We're still in the very preliminary stages, but I expect things to move rather quickly after Friday. I will start compiling a list and go over the choices with my fiance.

Thanks again.

-Eugene

6. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi

I have two brother n laws who both got married the same summer. The first, hired this "outfit" that all this impressive advertising, brochures..and so on. There were two of them, working with Hassy's and all sorts of equipment. They "took charge". The bride & groom, and wedding party couldn't get to the reception because this professional outfit wanted to take 2 million shots. (give or take). A lot of guests got tired, some got mad, most left. The final photos...were good, but not outstanding.

Second wedding, different photographer. Just a local guy, comes in with a miminal equipment (TLR anyone?). Not an amatuer, but just nothing fancy. But he just got into the flow of wedding. He was very professional, but warm, friendly, knew what shots to take, but was willing to take any requested. Basically, he put everyone at ease.
    His wedding photos? Outstanding. I know a lot of it has to do with technique and experience, but I have to think the rapport he established played a part. A much more relaxed atmosphere.
    I wish I'd heard of this guy when I got married, his work was very good, and he was just a pleasant person. But he stayed in the background, he knew he wasn't the main attraction.
    just my 02 cents worth.

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hey Eugene, if y'all'd like to sit for a portrait in Phoenix, I'd be happy to meet you and your fiance this weekend. Feel free to email me at the address I pm'ed you yesterday. You've seen my stuff, or follow the link below and check the gallery.