Wedding Photography Contract - Looking for feedback

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
I do not understand... :confused:

Please clarify your point about low quality... :confused:

Quality is a term of art in photography and can be understood in different ways.

The entire point of a contract is to manage expectations on both sides - and the language should be clearly the same to both sides.

Low Quality to a photographer may mean a highly compressed but very large jpeg image (still printable but probably looking terrible)or a screen sized compressed jpg image or it may mean a terrible shot.

To a non-photographer, it means one thing 'a not so good shot.'

Say what you actually mean in lay terms so that she and anyone who reads the contract either can understand it in the most obvious definition or it should be defined.

Even if defined, 'Low-quality' gives a very bad impression.
Say something like images with lower resolution appropriate for screen display but unsuitable for printing.

Full Editing means nothing in any real terms. If someone comes back and says that the bridesmaids all have obvious zits in 150 pictures and you promised 'full editing', are you going back to fix them all?

If your editing will include adjust color balance, exposure and cropping (never 'correct' anything) then say it. If you don't plan to do full portrait quality retouch on 250 pictures then don't say 'full retouching' because sure enough someone will be angry at something and you will get unreasonable demands for more editing.

The precedent has already been set in my previous work. I am not concerned as long as my "full editing" is in line with prior jobs... which they've seen before selecting me as their photographer. They would be hard pressed to view my past weddings and then expect anything different.

Their memory has nothing to do with a contract. Say what you will do - exactly. If they're trying to win a case, their memory will be defective - on their side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of ways - you start with a lot of assumptions: that they "know you're not a professional," that they understand that they shouldn't put raw photographs out in public view, that they understand that "low quality" means the same as "low resolution," that you're "not concerned in the least" about these things that many of us are concerned with.

There is no faster way to end a friendship and end up in court being sued for more than they paid you than to have a problem with wedding pictures and an over-stressed couple.

Seriously. Re-reading this thread it looks from here like you seem to think you're being picked on, but you're really not, we're trying to warn you and help you protect yourself on this. Some is probably from (rather painful) personal experience. :cool:

Lots of ways - you start with a lot of assumptions: that they "know you're not a professional," that they understand that they shouldn't put raw photographs out in public view, that they understand that "low quality" means the same as "low resolution,"

I stand by these "assumptions" 100%.

Seriously. Re-reading this thread it looks from here like you seem to think you're being picked on

At no time did I or do I feel I'm being "picked on" by other nikoncafe members in this thread.

we're trying to warn you and help you protect yourself on this.

Your concern is appreciated. :smile:

At no time did I or do I feel I'm being "picked on" by other nikoncafe members in this thread.

Your concern is appreciated. :smile:

here is the problem.

1. You posted a draft of your wedding contract, asking for simple and blunt feedback.
2. Multiple memebers has provide you with feedback and examples that can hurt you financially.
3. The only thing you have done is defend your draft contract and not take our advice into consideration

So...if you dont want to hear our advice...then dont ask for it.

To be blunt.

Then why bother with a contract? If you can do the whole project on the assumption of goodwill and understanding each other, there's no need for a contract.

The contract is there for when the poo hits the fan and things get ugly. Nobody expects that to happen in advance. Which is why -for the sake of both sides- you need a clear contract when things are still (and hopefully stay - but again, that's what the contract is for in case it doesn't) good between you and the bride (the groom is pretty much irrelevant in most weddings :rolleyes:)

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
Once you make a contract, everything else that was said before just disappears. Any court will make the assumption that all issues were covered in the contract that you created and signed - and if it isn't there, well tough on you.

One unhappy client, one stupid client, one client who didn't listen or one client that chooses to misunderstand can hurt your reputation and your pocketbook a lot.

here is the problem.

1. You posted a draft of your wedding contract, asking for simple and blunt feedback.
2. Multiple memebers has provide you with feedback and examples that can hurt you financially.
3. The only thing you have done is defend your draft contract and not take our advice into consideration

To be blunt.

Reading the post I never thought the OP was being picked on. I also thought he was not defending anything - but he was questioning what he was being told, and nothing wrong with that. Advice is worth what you pay for it - and quite often a number of people here speak as an authority - with never having done it. That is ok - but not to question advice is just as bad as ignoring it - and I do not think he was ignoring it.

To be blunt... :biggrin:

Correct

Multiple members have provided a wide range of examples, feedback, and advice. I appreciate their participation in this thread.

Hardly the case. I have taken people's advice from this thread into consideration. The contract we signed was directly impacted by this thread, thanks to cafe member's feedback.

IMPORTANT - Do not assume just because I don't take/accept/adhere to every single last piece of advice by other cafe members that I am somehow indifferent to everyone's help. Giving me advice does not mean I should or must apply said advice.

That's exactly what I'm trying to explain... I DO what to hear your advice... just don't assume I MUST accept every single bit of it as if it comes from on high. :smile:

Then why bother with a contract? If you can do the whole project on the assumption of goodwill and understanding each other, there's no need for a contract.

Simply not true and a over-generalization of the previous conversation. Just because I'm fine with assuming the bride will not use the unedited raw versions for prints does not mean a contract is not needed.

Could someone recap the advice I seem not to be taking that's making some upset?

The quality vs resolution seems quite reasonable and I can change the word on my proof galleries and contract.

What else? Giving people the raw files?

Well, I sell and give jpegs without a thought - but raw files... nah.... that is like giving the negative out. I would keep those. And remember, you are not GIVING the photos away, your giving a LICENSE that allows them to use the photos - you retain (or should) ownership.

I'm TOTALLY against a client having RAW file. I will assume photographers have newer and calibrated monitors.
if the client has aperture or photo-shop to open the RAW, more than likely they will make a mess
of the correct image because their monitor is NOT calibrated. The local walmart and costco will
not be able to work with RAW.

I go to great lengths to insure the best possible photo from professional labs. once and a while I return
my photos to my lab and request a do over.

It would be a shame to spend thousands of dollars on pro-sumer / professional cameras and all the accessories,
achieve great photos and then to have it destroyed on .13 prints. I really hope the photography industry does NOT rely on warehouse club prints.
I know consumers are forcing the issue of the wanting the CD's of full resolution

Latest threads

Top Bottom