Wedding photos - my first, but not the last.

Discussion in 'People' started by Nikhe, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Nikhe

Nikhe

Oct 8, 2006
    Sweden
    Normally this time of year I shoot mostly motor sports, but I got asked to shoot a wedding which was something I had not planned to do!
    I explained my lack of experience to the couple and but wanted me to do the job anyway for some reason.
    So, it was just to give it a go and these are a few examples of what came out.

Shooting portraits under a blazing sun at noon with just 1,5 hours to get it right is something I hope I don´t have to do again soon..
    ~Orange / red walls in the church blended with harsh lighting from the windows were a challenge for the auto WB in the cameras but they performed better then I expected.

Anyway, I learned a lot and I have gained even more respect for what the wedding photographers are achieving, it´s really hard work if you´re trying to keep up to all that´s happening!
    Comments on what I can improve are welcome as I got another wedding in 3 weeks. ( I really got to learn to say no! )

Martin_Josefin_129.jpg

Martin_Josefin_134.jpg

Martin_Josefin_093.jpg

Martin_Josefin_162.jpg

Martin_Josefin_208.jpg

Martin_Josefin_229.jpg

Martin_Josefin_269.jpg

Martin_Josefin_245.jpg

Martin_Josefin_432.jpg

2. Judging from what I see here, there is nothing for me to tell you except keep up the good work and don't say no unless they don't want to pay you.

Really nice images here. I think #4 is awesome.

3. I agree with Roy. Nicely done. You balanced the harsh outdoor light very well.

4. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    :eek:You don't do weddings? Well you outta...you do really good work. :wink:

5. Nikhe

Nikhe

Oct 8, 2006
    Sweden
    Thanks for your comments.
    These new cameras ( D3 and D300 ) with auto ISO and Active D-lighting engaged helps a lot, those functions are Very useful when shooting weddings I must say.

6. Nikhe

Nikhe

Oct 8, 2006
    Sweden
    Well, perhaps I will shoot some in the future?
    This one was for the daughter of some neighbours and as did´nt have much experience from weddings I charged... well let´s say, a bit less then I should have perhaps.
    Next wedding is also for some neighbours daughter so it´s hard to charge more then I did this time.
    But if I´m doing any more I definitely have to charge more, it´s pretty hard work when you´re the sole shooter!

7. you did a very nice job
    a very attractive couple never hurts

well done

8. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    you'd be a great 2nd shooter...NOT!!! these are really good, you should consider weddings

9. Wow my friend, given the lighting conditions #2 turned out OUTSTANDING! In fact, they are all excellent shots!

10. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Really really nice job, considering the conditions. Kudos! :biggrin:

11. Nikhe

Nikhe

Oct 8, 2006
    Sweden
    Thanks a lot everyone!
    Perhaps I should put a few on my webpage and see if it leads to some more work, I would not mind a little side income during the motorsports off season.

To be honest, there are probably a market for a few more wedding photographers in my area, at least in the summer time...when I´m shooting... other things....

12. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    I think you nailed it. Good job and raise you fee for the next one.

13. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    Well Done!

14. JessP7

JessP7

May 3, 2005
    North MS, USA
    These look great to me! I think you may have stumbled upon a nice little side job!

15. I really like #5. You caught a great moment with the bride looking so warmly at the groom. Nice job.

16. Nikhe

Nikhe

Oct 8, 2006
    Sweden
    Thanks all for your kind comments.
    Now it´s 5 in the morning around here and I have to go to bed to be able to deliver the DVD with the photos to the couple later today.
    After reading your comments on the photos, I think the couple may also like the results, or at least I hope so!

17. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    Nice work. My only critique is the halos on #4. Try a selective color mask.

18. Nikhe

Nikhe

Oct 8, 2006
    Sweden
    Thanks Nchesher for your comments.
    You are absolutely true about the halos, and they can also be seen in a few of the other photos, but thankfully they don´t show in the full size pics as they´ve got greater radiuses and don´t give the sharp edges the smaller pics seems to show.

More comments on what to improve are still welcome, as mentioned I´m a novice at wedding photography and even if I´ve studied a lot of photos around the Internet prior to the shoot I feel that I still have very much to learn.

I hope you don´t mind just a few more.

Martin_Josefin_210.jpg

Martin_Josefin_252.jpg

Martin_Josefin_540.jpg

19. Great job!! No, scratch that - AWESOME job!! There's a ton of money to made in wedding photography and you should be getting some if it! Keep up the great work.

20. wendy

wendy

Jul 5, 2008
    PA
    Thankfully, not your last.

Well done. #9, the candid emotion, worked for me.

In my eye, the first 3 would have been equally-nice cropped vertically if you wanted more focus on the subjects.

Your setting is amazing; good pick.