Wedding Photos - Need some C&C - Warning 32 photos

Discussion in 'People' started by stayathomedad, Jul 21, 2008.

1. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    The photos below are only 500px at jpg quality 6...

The wedding website can be found at http://thehickoks.com/weddings/062808/

This was another free wedding... I met the B&G an hour before the ceremony...

Minor post work... a little ACR and a little USM...

Any feedback would be appreciated...

1 - Bug spray was a must... Alaskan mosquitoes anyone?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JoJo2Fast

JoJo2Fast

Nov 20, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    They seem really bright and slightly overexposed on my monitor, however they are great shots! I think if you darked them up a little bit I would like them even more. Great shots none the less!

3. I agree. I think you have done well in your composition and capturing some great moments. But, almost all of them look washed out and really hot. I would say the best colors are #20-22. I would try to darken these up in processing. Why all of the free weddings?

4. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    yep, a little to blown out. the picture that have white shows little detail. otherwise, nice pics

5. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Nice captures............but the images seem overly bright to me.

6. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    Can anyone recommend a basic monitor calibration product for my macbook screen so I won't overexpose images in the future?

Cost is an issue...

7. The huey pro is inexpensive and does a great job.

8. bigwilly

bigwilly

Oct 19, 2007
    Toronto
    You may get more comments if you are more selective about the number of photos you post. I've seen some other sites suggest around 8 photos. Anywho here goes a few

1. could have done either with a tighter crop or shot at larger apperature, the background is distracting with too many people and you have a cut off person in the forground, doesn't really fit in with the wedding theme if you just look at the photo by itself
    3. Its pretty good, but the crop cuts off the lady's elbow
    6 & 7 the crop looks too tight
    11, 12 & 15 are good candids and they capture some nice emotion
    29 is sweet
    The dance series is fun and I like how it shows movement and action
    You may want to apply some S curve to the outdoor photos to give it a bit more contrast and pop.

9. dstangier

dstangier

Jun 18, 2008
    Oregon
    #15 and #29 really caught my eye. I like the motion in #28.

Dirk

10. Some nice shots here . I think a couple of the outdoor ones could have benefitted from some flash to fill in the eye sockets .

11. BullcreekBob

BullcreekBob Guest

Advise from a newbie

1) Set exposure for the people not the background.

2) Set exposure for the people not the background.

And you guessed it

3) Set exposure for the people not the background.

You have some nicely exposed backgrounds in this set but at the cost of blowing the exposure for the people. The exif data says that you use Manual for exposure settings, but how do you set it? Are you using the camera's metering ? or have you used a light meter? If you are using a light meter, measure the subjects not the background. If you are using the camera's metering change it to spot metering.

If you are already doing all the above,

4) Calibrate your monitor

12. BullcreekBob

BullcreekBob Guest

Address the cost issue by charging for the wedding. Charging the B&G for a colorometer is not much and for the B&G the money is probably well worth it to have better images of their wedding.

Doing weddings for free is not doing the B&G a favour, it is devaluing yourself and your own efforts.

13. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I, too, thought the poses, expressions, compositions, and subject matter of all the photos is really great. But my first thought as I scrolled through was, "Oh no, they are all overexposed."

14. Something that no one pointed out what that the overexposure is most likely being done by the camera and your just not noticing it on your screen.

Gary

15. Good point Gary. Unless these were exposed properly in the camera and you ended up modifying the exposure in PP, then the monitor calibration is not going to fix the problem. Now, if they look right on your monitor and that is keeping you from darkening them slightly in post, it will. But, some of these details will not be available in post until you get the exposure right when shooting. I like the idea of charging the couple the price of a light meter at the very least.

16. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    I used the flash on and off when outside... I was freaking out because I couldn't find the right settings for the ceremony and so some of the images are all over the place...

17. lack of colors... bright and over exposed as stated.

18. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    Next month I'm doing a wedding for someone in another state... they are paying for my services...

When I first agreed to do the wedding earlier this year, I realized I needed some practice shooting weddings. And so I went on craigslist and offered free wedding photography to those people who could not afford or who were not planning on having a photographer at their wedding.

It came out as a win-win... They got photos of their special day they never would have had to begin with, while I gained some valuable experience.

19. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    They look alright on my screen when I'm processing them...

If I were to darken all of these images, they would look too dark on my screen...

20. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I agree with what has been said. However all these are very fixable. You did a good job...you should've used some flash fill. I cannot see your exif data so - what f-stop were you using outside in that bright sun?

I love the action shots you did a good job.