Wedding Pics!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gho, Jun 7, 2005.

1. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
  2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Your full gallery also contains all the "traditional" wedding photos too, and they are very good!

3. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Gregory I really like your approach of wedding pictures ,great work

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Nicely done, Gregory. I really like the style of the 4th shot here. All well done.

5. linm

linm

May 3, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    I really like the technique of the third one! I've never seen that done before but it is really effective.

6. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Yup, I did shoot the "traditional" and posed shots, but I guess these are just more my style. Prolly my style is too different and that's why not many people like my photography. Oh well.

hehe... Thanks Hans.... watch out, and mark my words - It'll be the next big thing :D

Thanks! That's one of my favorites too. One of the things I like about it is that it's so very easy to do compared to the color extractions.

Yeah, I just made up the effects as I went along and kept a few and threw most out. I wasn't sure if that effect worked or not, especially for that photo. I also applied it to this photo, which I think works better:
    http://www.ximinasphotography.com/galleries/displayimage.php?album=61&pos=67

7. Great style!

Gregory, fantastic work! Many photogs struggle to find a photographic style or identity (myself included), but you've got great style. While I agree that the fourth photo is awesome, I also like the noise in the first one. It really adds the right atmosphere, that "on edge" feeling. Thanks for sharing. You've sparked some ideas in my head. If only I weren't at work. LOL

-Kim

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    So that's what you were up to! Great stuff, Greg!

No wonder digital takes longer than film though. Try doing all that masking and selective coloring with film - you'd be in the darkroom for weeks!

If I have to pick a favorite, it's number 4. Are these effects your own creation, or do you use a package?

9. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Thanks!

Ya, my "style" is prolly a bit too unique. Many people don't like some of my favorite photos, and a lot actually like some of my work that I absolutely hate. I guess I should try to shoot a bit more "conventially" the next time - at least it's a lot easier that way.

The first one's actually a bin, but just to see how much recovery was possible, I boosted the exposure to the max. The resulting pic was pretty noisy and the colors were kinda washed out, and it gave me an idea. I then boosted the contrast and enhanced the noise. Much of it went away when I resized down, so I had to added some film grain. I liked the busy nature and "nervousness" of the photo and felt the effect enhanced the feel.

Yup! Kept me busy all week. I've never done selective coloring with film, but you're right about masking. I would never do any of these effects on film - it's just too time consuming. That's what makes film so easy ;)

Anyways, I kinda like the plain simple prints without snazzy effects, although some of the effect shots I like.

My favorite effects are #1, #2, #3 (I like that effect, just not on that photo - I like this one better: http://www.ximinasphotography.com/galleries/displayimage.php?album=61&pos=67). I also like the last one.

One of my favorite's is this one (not from the wedding):
    [​IMG]

10. Wow! The one of the little girl with the camera is awesome! It's photos like this that serve as kind of a smack in the head for me. It makes me realize that there are so many creative things you can do with your photos to really convey an idea, it's amazing.

Chris has some very interesting ideas on his site too. I wish I were home so I could experiment.

I'm new to the forum and am very happy I decided to join in on all the fun.

11. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Thanks Mr. Kim - that's my daughter when she was about 2. I liked the sequence but banged my head on how to present without taking so many photos to do so and in conjunction with her photo. After messing around for some time, it occured to me that the "sequence" didn't need to be quite so dominating and large, so I reduced it down and overlaid it on her photo to come up with that shot. I like the way it turned out as it was what I was reaching for.

Chris is my idol. I love his creative work!

Welcome to this forum!

12. Gregory, did you use Photoshop to get the effect? Where did you get the negative template? How did you do it?

The other thing I wanted to mention, since it's what the post was originally about, was that I like #2 except for the background. I like what you did, I just wish I couldn't see stuff laying on the floor and the door hinges. On that note, you took an otherwise not as good photo and made it way better. I guess the lesson for me here is, it pays to play. If you have a photo you wish came out better, play with it and maybe you can turn it into a keeper. Great job.

13. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Yup, I used photoshop to get that effect. The negative template was posted on the other forum a while back. I simply piced it together and made a few minor tweaks and voila! If you want I can email it to ya.

I liked #2 better before I resized it. With that one, I did a little edge blur along with blurring the background. I could have blurred it out more, but I didn't want to go overboard. Guess I can try and rework it. I think it lost some of the puch during the resize. That one was a little tricky, as it was shot pretty wide and the DOF was deep as a result (guess I should have used my SLR/n for that shot).

As far as the stuff lying around - it was a preparation shot in a hotel suite. It's pretty tight in there and not much room to work. It wasn't a formal portrait.

14. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Woops, forgot to answer your question. No package. I made the effects up as I went along. I'm not very good with Photoshop though, and prolly should pick up a package.

Everytime I get one of those effects packages though, I never seem to use it - I think it must be that cookie cutter mentality that kind of deters me.

Know of any good packages?

15. JackG

JackG

May 31, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Gregory,

Have not had the courage to try a wedding in digital.

I like your work. Keep trying and I'm sure you'll convert many over to your style.

People are always afraid of something new and unique.

Just like I'm afraid to try a digital wedding. One of these days.

Jack

Jack

16. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Great stuff. You have a neat style. I really like the effect you used on #3. Great way to emphasize.

17. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Thanks Jack! You're prolly right. I don't worry too much if people like the photos, but I guess at times, I should be a bit more conventional.

Digital is definately not as forgiving as film, and there's definately a lot more work involved in post (I usually just gave the negatives to a pro lab to process). But the instant feedback on the camera helps out a bit to ensure you got the shot you're looking for and that the exposure is right.

That said, I didn't have much time to do any chimping during the session, so it's almost like shooting film. At least changing a CF card is hella faster than changing a film cartridge.