Wedding to shot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cali-kid, Jun 18, 2007.

1. cali-kid

cali-kid

May 26, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Hello everyone,

I have a small wedding to shot at the end of July. It's in a church (which I haven't seen yet). I know I should visit the church before hand to check out the lighting situation. I do know that flashes aren't allowed. I Will be using the following: D80, 2 sb600 (for outdoor use, fill flash etc.) 50 1.8, 17-55 2.8 and a 70-200 2.8 vr.

Should I rent a second camera body? Do you guys have any suggests for me?

This my (First) wedding for money. I have shot a wedding before, but I didn't have the lenses or the flashes I have now. Any Help is welcomed.
    Thanks in advance......

2. I think you have everything covered Lens wise but I guess it couldn't hurt to have a second body if you could borrow one. Just so you don't have to switch between lenses too much. The SB600 is cool for outdoor fill but if you are going to need a flash indoors with a diffuser I'd consider borrowing a SB800.

If you can check out Digital Wedding Photography: Capturing Beautiful Memories (Paperback) by Glen Johnson. I'm reading it right now and I have to say its a pretty good book.

3. cali-kid

cali-kid

May 26, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    My girl friend will help. Maybe she couild handle the second body. I have m finger crossed to about the lighting.

4. cali-kid

cali-kid

May 26, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks for the book reference. Question should I shoot hand held or on a tripod?

5. bob swanson

bob swanson Guest

:8Ball:Definately have back-ups and batteries. If you are more than 15 feet of where the action is I'd suggest a tripod. I'd also mention to the B&G that you aren't allowed to use flash during the ceremony. This happens a lot and generally they'll let you use flash until the bride is give away and then allow flash when they are pronounced husband and wife. After the ceremony you can catch up on those shots you weren't satisfied and can re-stage.
    Just some thoughts, bsvirginian

6. The "no flash" usually means no flash during the service.

The service starts after the procession when the minister/preist says his first words. You can use flash up to that point.

The service ends when they are announced man and wife/kiss the bride.
    Get your flash ready then.

Others here are more experienced than me and may have better advice, but here's my two cents.

For flash: manual mode ISO 400, 1/125 sec. f/5.6, spot metering, manually adjust the focus point and hit their nose, C or continuous focus during procession becasue of subject movement toward you. S or single servo focus for the rest.

No flash: ISO 800, aperture priority and lens wide open. For shots close to the altar use the 50 f/1.8. If shutter speed goes below 1/30 sec use ex. comp. or switch to manual. I don't have a D80, how is ISO performance above 800? With the D200 anything above 800 has too much noise, I go 1200 if I'm desperate or shoot at 1/15 sec from tripod and hope no one moves.

Set up a tripod in the center isle behind the last guests. Ask the ushers to keep everyone up front. If there is a balcony use it.

Remember to record details: shoes, purse, jewelry, rings, guest book, hair, back of dress, reception hall before people arrive, calendars with date.

That may have been three cents.
    Greg

7. Tripod for the outdoor portraits and maybe the indoor ceremony shots. Hand held inside during the reception.

Not that I'm any expert but I got that so far from the book. The only other thing I would say is to shoot raw.

8. I "tried" to 2nd shot a wedding a few months ago and things didn't work out that well but I did manage a few decent shots. I went on a rant and typed up a document on all the mistakes I made so I would never forget. Let me know if you'd like a copy and I could email it to you.

Also this site has some great tips on wedding photography.

9. cali-kid

cali-kid

May 26, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks Greg, your advice about flash, no flash is great. This info will be remembered:

The service starts after the procession when the minister/preist says his first words. You can use flash up to that point.

The service ends when they are announced man and wife/kiss the bride.
    Get your flash ready then.

Others here are more experienced than me and may have better advice, but here's my two cents.

For flash: manual mode ISO 400, 1/125 sec. f/5.6, spot metering, manually adjust the focus point and hit their nose, C or continuous focus during procession becasue of subject movement toward you. S or single servo focus for the rest.

No flash: ISO 800, aperture priority and lens wide open. For shots close to the altar use the 50 f/1.8. If shutter speed goes below 1/30 sec use ex. comp. or switch to manual. I don't have a D80, how is ISO performance above 800? With the D200 anything above 800 has too much noise, I go 1200 if I'm desperate or shoot at 1/15 sec from tripod and hope no one moves.

10. cali-kid

cali-kid

May 26, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks, RAW is a definate. I was wondering about the tripod thing. My 70-200 2.8 vr will be great, but I want my shots to be crystal clear and sharp.

11. cali-kid

cali-kid

May 26, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I just took a look at the website, it looks like it has a great deal of info. Thanks. Yes could you send your list to me...

12. User a cable release and maybe Mirror lock up to avoid any vibration. A good tripod will also help.

PM me your email address for a copy of my wedding lessons "rant".