1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Wedding: Under the midday sun

Discussion in 'People' started by joey, May 16, 2007.

1. 12:30 p.m.: A stroll through SF's Palace of Fine Arts before the 3 p.m. ceremony. Not the best time of day for a shoot but, as often happens with weddings, we do what we can with the schedule and budget available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found shade under the Cherry Blossom tree.

[​IMG]

Will post more "after ceremony" shots.

http://www.moodystills.com/

2. excellent job Joey. A beautiful setting for a wedding.

3. Those are actually pretty good for direct sun.

4. These are really good for direct sun... What camera are you using?

5. joey, #6 is really nice...but they all are, actually. #6 just stood out for me.

Nice work with tough lighting conditions.

6. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Yeah direct sun is awful especially with a white shiny dress! You managed it all very well, though.

7. Hi, Roy. Yes, the Palace is a nice setting. Not my favorite though as there's usually too many people there. Specially on weekends. Had to do a lot of PS work to take out the crowd.

8. Coming from you, Woody, that means a lot.
    Thanks. Glad you like it.

9. Yup! They love the work. Will post some more from later in the day. In more favorable lighting conditions.

10. Hi, Brian!
    D2x and a D80. For these series, used only the D2x. I really like the D2x for contrasty light. So much shadow detail you can pull out without too much artifacting.
    Glad you like the work.
    Thanks.

11. Palace of Fine Arts, what a location. Excellent images.

12. Hi, John!
    Glad you liked #6. It was the last one I worked on from this series. Only in this one (and in #2) did I add a bit of diffusion in PS. Hard to get the proper "mood" in this kind of lighting. I feel that the softness it added helps reduce the harshness of the light.
    Thanks.

13. Wow excellent shots for a mid day sun. Everyone, inlcuding me, were squinting in my wedding photos.

14. Hi, Joshua! Have you been using Proshow a lot! Have not used mine lately.
    I find that it's not the white dress that is difficult here but the lighting for the shadows. Given more time and resources it would have been best to bring a "butterfly" to block the sun from the subjects. Light the couple with studio lights with appropriate light modifiers.
    As it is, had to use the trusty sb800s to fill in the shadows. While effective, the fill is really much too harsh.
    Well, that's wedding work. A lot of compromises. Gotta do your best with what's portable, quick and relatively cheap.:biggrin: :frown: :redface:

15. Hey Gordon!
    Our team (Warriors) got a beating from the Jazz last night.:Sick: :mad:  Well, maybe next year....
    Thanks.

16. Hey Fred!
    He-he. Now that's always the problem. Had a groom one time who wanted to wear "shades" as the sun bothered him too much. Had to say "sorry, can't do!"
    Glad you like the work.

17. Nice shots! That is a very nice setting!
    Job well done!

Tim

18. Vin2k

Vin2k

May 9, 2007
    Dallas
    Great shots and great setting! What shutter speeds did you mostly use and were you using fill flash or reflectors?

19. Thanks, Tim!

20. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Very nice...good job!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.