Wedding Whoa....Caught Up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by confused, Jun 4, 2005.

1. I am not sure even where to start...sometime in July I am kind of just adding a "personal touch" to the wedding. My step cousin is getting married and well I am the "personal touch". They did hire a professional photographer but wanted me to take photos and since I don't want to let anybody down. I just need to kind of know where to start. I have a d70 and an n75. I do have a tripod. I have the 70-300mm lense and the 18-70mm and I think a 28-90mm (came as the kit on the n75). By then I should have a new backpack, the SB600. Will I need anything else for the wedding? What should I do to get prepared for this? Things I should worry about? I am a COMPLETE fool when it comes to this. I just want to do my best and use this as an opportunity to learn but still put out good results. I don't know how I am going to do this. I kind of need a complete run through of things I should be careful about, things I should watch for...anything that comes to mind. The only advantage of this is wedding is I know the place pretty well. It is right next door to our beach house cabin for the summer and then a post reception or something is down at our beach cabin. So.....im just overwhelmed and needed a place to post and hopefully get some feedback on where to begin, continue and end. lol

Thanks SOO much! :D

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

To help you, the answers will be quite lengthy, and will require a good deal of thought and time to put together. In the meantime there have been questions like this asked here and at other forums, so you might do a search and pick up several threads with questions and answers that will provide with this.

If no one replies with enough info, that may be the only way to go.

Try to check out the venue before to see what the lighting conditions will be, and the backgrounds. Take some test shots to see how your flash will do. The Pro will be taking the mandatory shots, so you should concentrate on getting action and candid shots of people interacting. Naturally, try to get as close to your subjects as you can to get the best shot - your flash will be the limiting factor. If there is a pro-photog there you have to not step on his or her toes! Get with that person and coordinate what you are doing.

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ya know, one thing you can do Elliott is what Ken suggested in his last sentence. Contact the 'pro' and let him or her know that you have been asked to help out. Perhaps you could assist the pro with some of the set-up shots, and thereby learn the tricks of the trade first hand.

You will also learn what parts the pro will not be photographing, thus giving you a plan for what to go after. It sounds like you are going to have fun (after all, the part of weddings I dislike is the pressure to get the 'right' shots.)

Remember, it's the faces and expressions of the people that will evoke memories in the future. As the second photographer, you can seek these out while the pro is shooting the dresses and cake.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great advice fellas...that was the first thing that came to mind when I started reading the thread. Someone asking to take some candid images while the paid-photog gets the customary images and be very, very touchy. The paid-photog needs to be a very understanding soul or his/her feathers may get ruffled. Someone needs to check the contract to see if there is an exclusivity clause. If no videographer was hired, maybe walking around with a video camera amongst the attendees and asking them to offer some comments or well-wishes to the bride and groom may be another avenue to look into.

5. I can't do the video camera thing. I am sure some people will be there with one but I barely know how to work with one. Thanks all for your thoughts on this.

Okay so my last question. If I have the money, is it worth it to buy the 50mm f/1.8 lense for this? Or will the kit do just fine? I know this lense is only about 100 bucks but between what I am having to buy for my alaska trip money is extremely tight.

Thanks all again! I will look for those faces that will have memory written all over them.

6. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

The "trade off" with the 50mm, f1.8 (as with the f1.4 that I have) is that for the low-light capability you lose depth-of-field. And, on the D70 the 50mm is equivalent to 75mm.

I like having one for this kind of function where I can get some shots without flash (check the white balance without flash!).

7. wedding photo

The only time I was asked to do it by my sister in law, it did not go well.
    She did not get a pro, she asked me, as the one and only. My shots turned out well. At the time a mid range zoom a flash and a slr. The problem came when another sister in law nastily bumped me out of the way repeatedly. The sister in law being wed of course was to busy to deal with this, and I was not going to point it out. Eventually I had to truncate my shooting. I guess where i am going with this is make sure they let everyone know what you are there for and let you do your job. pro or not.
    Good Luck! CS Dayan

8. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I beg to differ. I don't consider that a "trade-off," for me it's more of a boon! The thing with APS sized sensors is that you gain unwanted DOF vs FF cameras. To compensate, you need faster glass, which of course is expensive, especially if you want it to be sharp wide open.

I like my 50/1.4 more than my 50/1.8 for that reason - it's much sharper at f/2 than the 1.8 is at f/2. 2.8 on FF used to do very well, for controlling DOF, but now I'm finding that I need faster lenses and have to buy all that *really* expensive 1.4 glass.

9. Elliott, I have done this kind of shooting a few times, at weddings and also special birthday parties, and I love it. For me it is the perfect situation.

The main advantage you will have is that, as opposed to the pro, you are 'inside' the event. I would agree you should have a word to make sure you are not treading on his/her toes, but I personally would not go anywhere near any of the formal, posed shots. The bride, groom and immediate families will get all the formal shots they want from the pro and you will not be able to get into a favourable shooting position for these shots anyway. You can record the relaxed celebration of family and friends, the sort of shot which rarely finds its way into the wedding album.

You know quite a lot of the people and you can shoot a kind of 'semi-candid' - they know you are there, they will notice when the flash fires, but their attention will be elsewhere, they are not asked to pose and their behaviour remains natural.

Try and tell the informal story of the day, take as many hundreds of shots as you can, take the principals and the guests in their moments of interaction with others. Don't neglect the telephoto end, you'll get some wonderfully natural shots from a distance which tell more about peoples' characters than any posed shot could.

10. I've done a few weddings where there was a pro working the event. I introduce myself prior to the event, let them know I'm an avid hobbyist, and ask their permission to take some candids. I also promise not to "poach" on their setups, and give them permission to elbow me out of the way if I accidentally interfere with their work. It works like a charm.

Make sure you start working with the flash well before the event. It's not that difficult, but it takes some practice before you figure out all of the settings.