Weddings are hard, sometimes...

Discussion in 'People' started by Removed User 2, Aug 5, 2007.

1. There are some week-ends where I just can't stand shooting a wedding. And I'm fed up with digital captures. I'd trather shoot film. At least my NOCT gets used with my digital cams, which is about my only joy these (digital)days.
    Anybody here feel like me?

Anyhow, I felt like sharing this one because it's been a very long time since I've posted here. No Photoshop but lotsa thinking while shooting.

NED_39240.

And for those who remember my wife's pictures (see this post), here is her latest (from yesterday), done with her D50 and the marbvelous and super incredibly sharp 35-70 f2.8! She's been doing great!

DSC_5895.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Ned, your photo is coming up red x. Your wifes shows and it is very nice. I like the off kilter framing.

3. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Still coming up with red x for your shot...but the wifes is wonderful

4. Thanks, guys!

Corrected the link.... :)

5. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Looks great Ned...were you zooming in when you took the shot?

6. Oooh there it is. Wow, how in the .........

OK I will guess. Long exposure combined with a flash to freeze part of the exposure, while spinning the camera the rest of the time.

However you did it, well done. It is nice to see effects created with the camera and photographers skills, rather than the photographers computer skills.

7. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Matt,
    you are right, I think, on the spinning the camera part. I wasn't thinking when I suggested zooming in:940::actions1:

8. Matt is right! :)

9. So Ned, I have been trying to figure out if it was rear curtain sync or not. I cannot tell from the photo. it would depend on the direction of the spin.

Counter clockwise = rear curtain
    Clockwise = standard

It's kinda fun to figure it all out.

10. I love shooting digital but probably because I never had a good enough memory to master film [ or a big enough bank ballance ] .
    ceremony346_suedited-1.

I would say to create your first image would require normal front-curtain flash mode so you can be sure of when you get the flash image and about 1/2 second exposure "with a twist " ....

11. I believe this shot was counter clockwise and it was done using rear curtain @1/15th f2.8.

12. Ned, fantastic...please post more often, I really enjoy your work.

13. Thanks so much, John!

Here's a Noct shot for you :smile:

ned_3383.

14. And one more Noct

ned_3310.

15. digi wedding

Digital and film both have their place in wedding photography. I understand your feelings about a bad taste towards digital capture. The only thing to do is invest in software targeting photography. It is no doubt more time behind a computer.
    I generally take my F5 with about 6 rolls of Fuji NPC. This way I am assured of nice white dresses without having to do corrects=ions in the digital darkroom.
    Either way, I still find myself scanning all my negs to make them a digital file!

16. Nice stuff, Ned, but you and your bride both favor a 45 degree tilt that's giving me a sore neck :Dizzy:. Did you catch the "camera toss" featured on the Strobist yesterday? It's a sure cure for boredom!

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/08/this-will-literally-make-you-want-to.html

I have 3 weddings in the next few weeks, and I'm getting a little burned out, too. I've been using Philippe's 12-24 Tokina, and if he'll let me, I'll use it for some of the table shots and dance pics on Sunday. It'll be a nice change of pace.

17. Thanks! x2!!

18. Frank, Anita shoots many tilt shots because she knows I'll come up with the sure stuff. She's in the learning process and trying out everything she can. I tilt when I'm bored :)

That link is fun. But no way I'll be pitching my camera like that. I'm too afraid to break the Groom's teeth. I already know I'm a lunatic, but I can be clumzy too :Dizzy:

19. tcgoggans

tcgoggans Guest

Ned, I really like the last shot you posted- fantastic!
    I completely relate to you weariness over shooting digital. Frankly, at heart I really dislike digital capture. Yes, on modern sensors you have the possibiity of millions of pixels to record even the finest detail, but it does so exactly true to the name: Digitally. With film there is the beautiful and subtle interaction of one physical substance fundamentally and phsically affecting another. Such an interction, physical on the very molecular level, simply cannnot be reproduced (or in my feeling matched) by any computerized system no matter how sophisticated it may be. The fact remains that a digital "mind" must decide what color each little pixel must be, clearly delineated from the next.
    Recently I was going through some old photographs, all from real film, and I came across some portraits taken on NPH in the failing light of a midsummer evening. It just about made me cry. After a year and a half of shooting only digital I had forgotten how much more subtle and true the colors produced by film are. There is just no comparrison.
    So I for one will always have a place in my heart for "the real stuff" and those who morn the loss of film as well.

20. Nenad, knock it off with those NOCT shots already, willya!!???
    Drives me nuts! :eek::smile: