Weekend in the PA Mountains...

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by lanthier, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Hi All,

Have not been able to be on much lately as I have been on vacation and when at home have been fighting my internet connection which is on only about half of the time!:Angry:

This past weekend was at my in-laws house in the mountains of southwestern, Pennsylvania. While the weather was not great, it did afford some good shooting opportunities. Here is a sampling of them, including some off subjects for me! All with D300...

1. Daisies (105VR with 1.4TC, F5, 1/1250)

pa708sm1-vi.jpg

2. Blanket Flower (as in 1, F8, 1/100)

pa708sm2-vi.jpg

3. Lilies (as in 1, f4.2, 1/1000)

pa708sm3-vi.jpg

4. Hoverflies Having Fun (as in 1, f/8, 1/200)

pa708sm4-vi.jpg

5. Damsel 1 (I think it's a damsel?) ( as in 1 f/16, 1/40)

pa708sm5-vi.jpg

6. Damsel 2 (105VR qith 1.7TC, f16, 1/15)

pa708sm6-vi.jpg

7. Hummingbird (300 2.8 VR, ISO 800, f2.8, 1/2000)

pa708sm7-vi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2008
  2. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Rich,
    Really nice set.... that orange damsel is beautiful. I hope you get the internet connection fixed.

3. very nicely done, really like 2 and 4. i have not had any success with hummers, Have been working on that 'curve' but 1/2500 has not yielded any thing like your pic. Keep um coming.

4. very nice series, rich
    #2 is my favorite
    i hope that you enjoyed your vacation and that you get your internet issues ironed out soon

5. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Really nice job, Rich!

6. Thanks Paul. The Damsels were fun, I have never shot them before (nor the hummers).

I am being driven insane. This is supposed to be my fun time of year (I don't teach in the summer) and all I feel like I have been doing - when at home - is troubleshooting this blasted cable connection! I may have to go back to DSL and see if they have fixed that up... :Angry:

7. It is quite a curve, eh Tom? I thought the images looked great on the 3" screen, but nope, not good at all...

8. Thanks Greg. I will find out tomorrow if there is anything they can do or if it just a ghost in the machine. If so, I need another ISP... :frown: I am spending far too much time trying to figure this out.

Thanks Francis...

9. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Nice to have you back with us Rich, img 3 is just great!

10. Thank you Robert. Tech support will arrive tomorrow and if they cannot fix it, I am going to have to try DSL again...:Angry:

11. Excellent across the board, Rich. Nice shooting!

12. Stephan54

Stephan54

May 13, 2006
    Netherlands
    Enjoyed looking at this series. No 3 and the hummingbird are my favourites.

13. some beautiful work here. Tells me you enjoyed yourself.

14. Nice series Rich, especially number six. Number two is a blanket flower.

15. Harry, thanks so much for the kind comments. It was a fun few days of shooting all kinds of things!

Thank you Stephan!

Dave, enjoyable indeed. Some good subjects, good, food and drink, family fun. Perfect!

Thanks Crystall! I had fun with the Damsels. My father in law was REALLY into them as he said he had never noticed them. They were all over the Siberian Iris leaves. Had never shot them before! Blanket Flower indeed, thanks for that information! My in-laws were unsure and guessed straw... I like your new avatar!

16. Great shots, Rich!

Like the Damsels the best, ofcourse! :tongue: Looks like some Ischnura species, the orange one being an immature female...