Weekend macros pt 1: The stripe eye etc...

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by j.ankanpaa, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Hi all!

Got Lumiquest softbox on friday, rushed into favourite location first thing on saturday morning to test it. It works perfectly! Before it I was using bare sb-600 and although it worked ok, it made certain types of insects almost transparent, a jelly like...

Ok, meet the stripe eye

jj035.

jj039.

jj041.

jj040.

Rush rush, from dawn to dust

jj013.

jj014.

Portrait of a hopper

jj003.

Tamron 90mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, sb-600 + softbox

To be continued... :biggrin:

Thanks for looking!

2. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Jukka,
    Nice captures with the softbox. Keep up the good work!

3. Interesting eye pattern on that fly Jukka, and some nice pictures.

How are you positioning your flash, hand held, bracket or on camera?

Did you get the mini-softbox or the regular, one thing I noticed with those softboxes is you can angle the flash up and bounce off of the top part of the softbox for a softer light.

Martin

4. The lighting from the softbox look very natural, very fine details.

5. Thank you Jerry, Martin & Gilles!!!

Martin:

It´s the regular one. The flash is on the camera, as I think that´s the easiest way to do it; no hassle. Is it the best, I have no clue :smile:

And by the way, thank you for the tip about milk jug diffuser. I just tried one with Tamron, reversed 50mm & in-cam flash and it works perfectly. I haven´t done that much shootings with reversed lens because the flash problems. I used some cardboard plate on flash with rubber bands and that worked ok, but was really awkward to use. But now with same kind diffuser as yours (we don´t have a plastic milk jugs here, so what I used was a windshield cleaning fluid container) I have no problems... Thanks!