Weekend of racing at Barber Motorsports

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Phoenix 5.7, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Went to Barber Motorsports track around birmingham over the weekend for the Porsche 250, as well as a few other races. it was awesome and i took a ton of pics. my Sigma 70-300 worked awesome. think i took over 500 pics, only cleaned up a select few that jumped out so far, although quite a few came out good. feel free to c&c. i know my crops are odd sizes, but i don't print but a select few so i don't worry about ratio. i have a few more coming soon, just haven't hardly had a break since

saw a ton of pro photographers, i was getting reach envy with all those 200-400s and 500s, but certainly not weight envy. did get some great discussions with some great folks

I have to give a big thanks to the Riley Tech team. they really made the race something special. hangin around and BSing with them and seeing how the team operates over the race weekend was great. and the look on their face when i asked about LGs vette was hilarious.

Koni Challenge
    DSC_1575crop.jpg
    DSC_1654crop.jpg
    DSC_1709crop.jpg
    DSC_1714crop.jpg
    DSC_1599crop.jpg
    DSC_1578crop.jpg

Mustang Challenge
    DSC_2073crop.jpg
    DSC_2013crop.jpg
    DSC_2051crop.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2008
  2. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    Those are great pics. Thanks for sharing.

We have talked about going to Barber sometime, but I have been liking the Rolex series less these days. It just doesn't have the appeal for me that it used to, and I much prefer ALMS. OTOH: I think the Koni Challenge series has gotten better, and it even has some MINIs now (I just ordered a John Cooper Works).

Barber was really hot, wasn't it?

3. i much prefer ALMS over Rolex, actually was supposed to go to a ALMS race in houston that got cancelled cause of the CART/IRL merger. but this race was awesome. it was very hot, the track is gorgeous, and clearly designed with the spectators in mind at least as much as the racing. grass was all bright green and cut short, with shade in some areas if u need it. also has an incredible motorcycle museum at the track with over 800 bikes on display, with another 1k in storage.

Koni was great, better than the GT class in Rolex IMO.

4. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    You can never rule out those support series, They can really please. Like the Koni series for Rolex, the Speed World Challenge series is terrific as a support series to ALMS. Last year when we went to Road America for ALMS, we found ChampCar dull and disappointing compared to Speed World Challenge. Now that CCWS is gone, The Speed GT and Touring cars will take their place at Road America next month. And we're going...woohoo! Then the Petit Le Mans in October.

5. i really want to hit up Petit Le Mans, but think school is goin to kill those plans. it might be an excuse to try out a 1.4, maybe even rent a 70-200

6. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    Petit is our favorite. Such a great track. We also go to Sebring. Can't wait for the 2009 12 Hours race. That's when Rahal-Letterman debuts the new M3 GTR.

I'm using a 70-200 VR, with a 1.4TC when I want a little extra reach. It's a great combo for shooting sports cars.

7. Moto ST
    DSC_1853.jpg
    DSC_1863crop.jpg
    DSC_1831crop.jpg
    DSC_1881crop.jpg
    DSC_1907crop.jpg
    DSC_1752crop.jpg
    DSC_1813crop.jpg
    DSC_1826crop.jpg
    DSC_1830crop.jpg
    10(winners of the race)
    DSC_1983crop.jpg

Porsche 250 Rolex Series
    DSC_2120crop.jpg
    DSC_2134crop.jpg
    DSC_2167crop.jpg
    DSC_2168crop.jpg
    DSC_2103crop.jpg
    DSC_2111crop.jpg

8. Great shots, ever think about trying some panning shots? Slow the shutter down to about 1/125 and give it a try next time!

9. i tried a few, but couldn't get any good ones. ended up with blurry cars. probably my technique more than anything tho. this was my first time shooting racing cars, think i might be able to do it next time.

10. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    You don't have to start with that slow a shutter speed for panning shots. I shot a lot at 1/200 or so. It takes practice, and you'll have fewer keepers, but it's worth it since you get shots that have more of a sense of speed and action.

On my next shoot, I going to try some shooting at 1/80 sec. to really blur out the background.

11. r34rkk

r34rkk Guest

love the cramer 50 motors the mustangs run in the grand am series! lol I want to get one and throw it in my DSM. Great series