Weekend Peregrines Plus A Few Others

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Dec 4, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Saturday morning I took one shot....because it was 19 degrees with a 30mph wind and a wind chill of MINUS 11. My fingers froze quickly so this back lit GBH at dawn (The only one I've ever seen in the marshes in December!)was it for Saturday....

original.

All of the following shots except for one were back lit with the exception of one and the lighting was pretty dim and the background varying shades of White / gray...therefore some of these are a tad noisy as I couldn't add any more positive EV than I did in order to keep shutter speeds usable. All were shot with the 500 and TC14EII

This morning it was cloudy and snowing and while my intended subject was not to be found (snowy owl), I did find a Peregrine Falcon enjoying breakfast....

original.

original.

original.

original.

Next I found MR. Great Black Backed Gull (the biggest US Gull)...

original.

Lastly, on the way home I found another peregrine I rarely find these at all, let alone two different peregrines in one day), sitting in a tree....

original.

original.

original.

original.

2. Very nice. I particularly liked the feeding sequence.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Outstanding series of shots Jim. Every one is absolutely top notch. Great work under less than optimum conditions shows how good you really are as a photographer. :wink:

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hey Frank

Are you looking to borrow money or something?

:smile:

5. roflmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought bankers were only skeptical< being i am one LOL>>>>>>>>> beautiful series Jim>>>>>>>>>>>welcome to our everyday weather till about April. LOL

6. Hey I know those skys oh to well great shots a bird I have yet to capture yet

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Jim,
    Your crazy going out in that weather.
    But man you brought home the bacon for sure.

OMG.....Fantastic.

(shooting from his car with the heater on)....lol

8. That first one has such a 3D feel. It is like I was there with you. The only difference is I am in my warm toasty house. The others are all great as well. We complained yesterday when it was 32-38 for a high. Now, our 38 goes to the bones as it is a damp 38. We look forward to your snowy shots when they arrive. We have been having reports of them in the Seattle area for a couple of weeks now. I can't wait to get my first good shot of one.

9. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hiya Keith

Well....we got snow today and we're supposed to get another 3-6" tomorrow night. After that i's supposed to warm up a bit.

The only good news is that the Snowy Owls are back...the short eared owls are just arriving and I say a Bald eagle driving home tonight...and I have 84 hours of comp time I need to use up before the end of the year :)

10. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Mike...

I actually deleted a couple of shots because thewre were big snowflakes falling in front of the birds face :)

Yes...gray winter skies will be the rule for the next 4 months.

11. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Gale

A) Thanks :)

B) I wish I could shoot from the car window with the heater on!

12. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi James T

That heron shot was a bit speacial...cause the wind was howling at about MPH and the bird was pretty hunkered down to stay out of the wind. When he finally popped his head up, I grabbed him :)

I kinda like the way that the grass is blowing horizontally in the wind...

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I know Jim,

You guys that shoot in that kind of weather are some kind of special.

I could not do it if I were paid.

14. Hi Jim,

Spectacular photos. I especially like the Falcons. Do you think they were two different birds? I tried to see if there was any noticable difference between the one eating and the other, but could not tell for sure.

Bob

15. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Bob

Absolutely 2 diffent birds..and about 12 miles apart :)

The one eating is a juvenile from this year. The one perched in the tree is a much more mature bird which I've seen several times lately.

16. Wow Jim I'm so envious! I want to see (and take a shot of) a Peregrine Falcon so bad!

Wonderful shots, what else is there to say!

17. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Dig the Falcon shots a whole bunch !

18. Just out for some weekend shots and you absolutely nail some peregrines???? Lately it seems like I'm lucky to find a nice looking leaf when I go out for some shots. Obviously I live in the wrong place, or I need to find some other places to look.

Out of sheer jealousy I'm tempted to say "I hate you" but you're far too nice a guy for that...

Great shots! Show us more when you can. Seen any more baby seals?

19. The falcon shots are extraordinary!

The peregrine is so difficult to find, let alond photograph!

20. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Andreas

Thanks...and belive me, it's not every day that I run into the opportunity to shoot two different peregrines.

I think mother nature was being nice to me yesterday because I missed the snowy owl by 20 minutes from what I'm being told :(