Weekend Quackers

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    The weather was so good this weekend that I couldn't help stopping by the pond for a few minutes Sunday. Janie called while I was shooting and said that her car battery was dead, so I didn't stay long. I did get a few keepers.

Shot with the D2H / 300 2.8 + 1.4 TC.

Whoa, what is that big black thing pointed at me??
    [​IMG]

Fly by's:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a kind of bedraggled looking Honker:
    [​IMG]

2. Excellent images Frank, you have really done yourself proud with that lens combo.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Frank,
    The second one is captured extremely well. The feathere are beautiful. Lots of detail.

Great shot.

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Yep, that second one is a cool shot....the feathers ruffled like that are really neat.

5. I really like the second one the best great detail even a few minutes out is better than none! :biggrin:

6. Nice captures, Frank. I particularly like the Canada goose. But I love the title :biggrin:.

7. Nice shots Frank. I really like the 2nd one with the turbulent air blowing the feathers all awry for a landing I assume...

What kind of crops are these? It looks like you were very close.

I want to start doing some printing of my work (as it improves hopefully) - I'm right around the corner from a 300 2.8 (Sigma version) and a TC to help my quest...I'm curious how your typical crops would print in 8x10 or 10x13, etc...

Thanks and great shooting,

Brett

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Brett,

The crops vary from shot to shot. The first is only slightly cropped (maybe 10 or 15%). The Goose is a pretty heavy crop (the image is probably 50 or 60% of the original). The other two are in between. I don't usually print my shots (I usually just process for the web), so I can't give you any feedback on that part of your question.

9. Brew

Brew Guest

I can't make up my mind as to which one I like best!!! Between #1 and #2 I think but they are all excellent shots.

10. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I love the second shot, because it makes you wonder what's going to happen. Maybe the duck is about to stall or will it have a safe landing.

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Bruce. I was out practicing my panning technique, and these guys obliged. They flew by about 30 feet in front of me. Talking about not having much time to get a lock and fire. :rolleyes:

Torben,

You know, these guy's landings are always an adventure. When they come in on land, they usually end up planting their faces in the grass. They can be very comical. This one landed safely BTW. :smile:

12. bfjr

bfjr Guest

OK these really Quack me up :smile: OK Ok bad joke !!
    Great shots frank really crisp !!
    We need a thumbs up smiley, where is it :confused: