Weekend Results at Plum Island

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Nov 14, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Well...the bird activity in Massachusetts sounds as if it mimicked the activity in Florida.....there wasn't any. There isn't anything exciting here so don't be dissapointed....the lymes is still bad and I wasn't up for hiking around to find exciting stuff :(

I had planned to shoot flight shots extensively in order to try out the new firmware and other than gulls..nothing was flying. The camera seemed to shoot gulls much better, however, I had no opportunities to shoot against backgrounds.

Saturday morning was cold...24 degrees to be exact and all of the ponds were FROZEN OVER! I did manage one early shot of a half frozen Semipalmated plover along the beach and one gull...

original.

View attachment 18236

I went home for a while and came back in the afternoon when I managed a couple of coot shots. The first is of a coot who had just surfaced from a dive with his dinner and the second is of a coot just moments before sunset...

original.

original.

The next morning there was no ice...and still nothing real flying.

First shot was of a northern shoveler in really low light, just as the sun was coming up from behind me...
    original.

I then moved looking for more shots and next was a pair of yellow legs in very early light...
    original.

Then a black duck in a reflective mood....
    original.

A swan taking a stretch....
    original.

A swan or two in some weird and not so weird poses...
    original.

original.

View attachment 18245

A male pintail duck...
    original.

A lone seagull close in as the fog rolled in a tad....
    View attachment 18247

A rather rare treat for this time of year and the first I've ever seen....a Laughing Gull in winter plummage....
    View attachment 18248

And this morning a rather cruddy handheld (nicely lit however) red tail hawk just as the sun peaked over the trees...

original.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2005
  2. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Jim,

As always wonderful shots. I love the color you get and how you use the light so well.

Hoping that you feel better soon.

3. Gees can't anyone take that Camera away from him! YOur making at least me look so bad !

Awesome shots The light is incredible! And sharp as you know what. Don't know how you do it!

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gee, I see that you had nothing to shoot at all. I really feel for you Jim. :rolleyes:

5. Have to echo Frank's comments, life is tough, wish I had one of your bad days. LOL.................. plover and swan shots are exceptional :smile:
    Look forward to giving the x a run now that i just did the firmware upgrade

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Absolutely beautiful Jim.

Hope you are continuing to improve and feeling a bit better. (alot better)
    Take care !!!!

7. Fantastic shots, Jim! Will keep watching your posts for the flight shots.

8. Love the first one what great light and sharp as can be. They are all real nice.. Hope your recovery is a fast one

9. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Beautiful sharp 3D looking images
    My fav are all the swans and the reflections :wink: