weird fill flash problem ???

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Johnnymg, Jul 9, 2007.

1. OK, I've got a strange fill flash problem here. Pics taken with a D50 and BIF. All of these pics have the same strange dark brown shadow/line on the left side of the legs. :eek:. No other problem with the pic other than this. ???

This pic is just the 'basic' JPG but the RAW image has the same defect. 24mm F9.0 at 1:500 sec
    [​IMG]

Any ideas on what went wrong? I've never seen this before.

thanks
    JohnG

2. What are we looking at ?

You used the onboard camera flash as fill and you got shadows behind her leg ?

3. All I can see is that since any flash you use is above the lens you will get shadows like this [ on the lower side of the picture ].Bounce flash , if possible , is the solution .

4. Nothing went wrong and it's not a defect. Perhaps it's not the lighting you wanted to have, but it came out exactly as it should have, given the way you lit the shot.

A harsh, small, light source very close to the lens axis and relatively close to the subject makes this kind of shadow.

Interestingly, the Strobist lesson for this week covers this very subject and includes an exercise you might find illuminating (pun intended). Have a look.:smile:

5. All

I'm referring to the sharp brown edging along the lower side of the legs. It's a very odd looking shadow defect. Never seen this type of defined shadowing before. ???

Thanks
    JohnG

6. I see it, but have to look pretty hard for it. Not sure what it is. If this is the only time it happened, I say clone it out and forget about it.....life's too short.:biggrin:

I know...I'm not much help. Sorry.

7. foto1139

foto1139

Feb 6, 2006
    Just curious, what mode where you using? Does that camera sync. at 1/500?
    jb

8. Sharon

Sharon

Feb 18, 2006
    Can you post a shot of the whole image? It's a little hard to tell exactly how the picture was taken. From the small image you posted it looks like your subject might be leaning right up against a wall. If that's the case, that could be the reason for the shadows. Moving the subject away from the wall and moving the light off camera would soften the shadows, as I understand it with my limited experience.

9. If you're talking about the colour of the legs just above the actual shadow , rather than the shadow itself then maybe it is a result of the reflected flash from the brown-ish background .

10. Desmond

Yes, it's the dark brown "band" running along the lower left side of each leg. This band appears to be an "extra" band and not actually part of the legs. :eek:

I've cloned this band out with PS but would like to better understand how the band was generated.

Regards
    JohnG

11. It's just a shadow. You'll generate side shadows on nearby surfaces whenever you use direct flash. The solution is to get your flash off camera or bounce it, which rules out the internal flash. Save yourself a lot of photoshopping and pick up an external flash.

12. Thanks all for the comments.

FWIW, I've mostly used the BIF (rarely an SB800) and just have never seen this sort of "hard edged" flash defect. Must have been a convergence of BIF flash/scene effects. :Bohoo:

JohnG

13. I used my pinkie finger and the built in flash on my d200 to replicate your "hard edged" effect.

14. Frank

Thanks for the effort.

No can view pbase from work. :frown: