Weird focusing both AF & MF

I've noticed a weird problem here - with the 80-200 dual f2.8 on a D2x and using AF & MF. Both modes see the green dot Focus Confirm light up at completely the wrong point.

The focus is so obviously way out, yet the green dot lights up. This wasn't just a tad out, but way out. Can be seen in the VF even before the shot was taken. And the contrast on each photo looks completely different - no other settings were changed. They were taken only seconds apart, just long enough for me to switch from AF to MF

Converted from NEF to JPG, no processing, and 100% centre crop on both. Sign is quite big, maybe 16" top to bottom and distance was around 40ft

AF with 5 shot burst, middle shot shown

soqidn3ysh.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And switching to MF on lens, leaving in AF-S mode, green dot lights again at completely the wrong point, so ignoring the GD light, I manually focus and green dot disappears altogether, not even flicking in and out like it was just on the border of correct focus.

MF with 3 burst shot, middle shot shown. Ignoring green light

rb74uydc6v.jpg

Strange - i have set Auto Focus priority, so why the shots were even able to be taken is a mystery. The AF shot was so obviously way off focus, yet the Green Light lit up - so presumbly the camera thinks its achieved focus, when i know clearly it hadnt by what i could see in the VF

Decided to try my 50 1.8 AF-D ...its even worse, maybe due to much closer focusing ? About 1.5 metres in these shots, again both 100% crops, no processing

Auto Focus

hjeotkt2nt.jpg

Manual Focus, ignoring green light

xsnn5h7uuy.jpg

I've also recently changed the Focsuing Screen for a new Genuin Nikon FS... maybe this has something to do with it, but checking the FS was set properly didnt reveal any problem.
It looked to be sat where it should

Latest threads

Top Bottom