Weird Magenta & Green Stripes (D300)

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Bright Angel, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

I'm in the process of PP my vacation shots.
    And I've started to notice weird magenta & green stripes on my very early photos.
    I've not check through all my pictures, because they're not installed on my HDD.
    At first I though it might be one lens, but it's the same on another lens also.
    Below are 2 examples.

1. Is the top left of an unprocessed image, taken with a Tamron 17-50 and Circular Polariser attached.
    [​IMG]

2. Is the full size image, part processed, taken with a Tokina 12-24 and C.P.
    [​IMG]

The camera was set to RAW aRGB and a colour profile DX2 Mode 3 with extra sharpening and saturate.
    I've altered the colour profile in NX2, but the stripes are still there.

I didn't notice any problems when processing the very early shots (or shots taken in the past) and maybe it's not there when I look at the last shots I took.
    I wouldn't have thought it would be a heat issue, these are from Vegas and I did notice some striping in some Death Valley shots.

Any advice please, either about the camera or how I would correct the image in Photoshop.

Thank you.

2. Perhaps your CP may be warped or have some other sort of optical problem...?

3. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

Thanks for the reply.
    Each lens has it's own C.P.

4. Looks like a CP problem to me. What brand are they? Pretty easy to test it though, just shoot a few sky images without them on the lenses. Doesn't matter where you are. You definitely get what you pay for when buying polarizers. Also try the same polarizers on a normal focal length lens and see what happens. Be sure to use Centered Weighted metering. Also, were you shooting through a window on the first one? This can happen when shooting through hotel room windows, airplane windows, etc.

5. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

Both shots were taken from the sidewalk.
    On shot 1. The Tamron is a Hoya C.P. 67mm
    On shot 2. The Tokina is either a Kenko Pro1 Digital 77mm or Hoya Pro1 Digital 77mm (probably the same thing, but different brands ??)
    I recently bought the Hoya Pro1, just before going on vacation.

So I haven't really taken many shots with it.
    In the past I've always used the Kenko Pro1 on both the Tokina & Nikon 70-200VR, with no problems.
    But even if the new C.P. was to blame for the 2nd shot.
    It wouldn't explain the sudden appearance of stripes I'm experiencing in shot 1. with a different lens.

I'll have to look through my storage HDD in the morning, to see if the problem continued or not.
    And then take some test shots with the D300 and a D200.
    That would eliminate the camera being a fault or not.

6. Are the CP's the slim version. I have been told that CP's on very wide angle do not work very well, but the slim models work better.

Nancy

7. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

The C.P. for shot 1 is "standard".
    And the C.P.(s) for shot 2 are "slim".

8. slim or standard wont make a difference in this situation. this looks like faint lens flare which is a tough problem if you run into it. Hoya and Kenko both come from the same place and both are top brands making top notch products. Be sure to check what series you are buying from, like any brand, they make budget products with less sophisticated coatings. using the filters with high end coatings will help a lot, IF its the filter. I use only hoya HMC and super-HMC filters.

it can also be coming from your lens coatings, in which case your out of luck. buy a better lens.

keep in mind that if its the filter thats causing it, its an interaction between the lens design and the filter, which means the filter might work fine on another lens.

the fact that it is a polarizing filter might be compounding your problems due to a variety of optical effects.

you are using your lens hood right?

9. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

Thank you for all the replies.

I looked through all my vacation photos and some, not all, show these stripes.
    I've taken some test shots this morning with a D300 & D200, even through it was a dull and cloudy sky it did show slight signs of the stripes.

The only thing I can think of and blame it on, is a a Lens Pen I used when on vacation.
    It dried up sometime during the vacation, maybe before or after I took the above shots.
    And after I've tried the re-activate it by damping the end with water (and drying it off) it's left some smearing on the C.P.'s and lens.
    I did switch to using a lens cloth, but maybe it didn't clean it enough ?

I'll take shot more test shots, if the UK summer weather stops raining.

Doesn't anyone know I can fix the stripes within Photoshop or should I post in the Retouching forum for help ?

Thanks again.

10. those lens pens freak me out.