1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Weird problem with my camera !

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by JPS, Jun 21, 2005.

1. I know it's NOT a Nikon body, but i'm kind of desperate, so i ask every place i know for help...

I have had my Fuji S2 Pro for 2 years now and really LOVE it ! ...but recently it started having a serious problem: when using the camera outside in a temperature above 25 degrees centigrade (77 degrees Farenheit), the camera underexposes drastically all pics !

Here's an example: i shot in Aperture priority and the meter gave 1:250 @ f/8 for ISO 100, wich IMHO is normal under a strong 4:00 PM sunshine ! But the image came out underexposed of at least 5 stops !
    original.

Then i shot another one in MANUAL mode, setting 1:30 @ f/5.6, wich is absurd with all that light... The pic came out slightly overexposed, but not that much...
    View attachment 10804

As soon as the camera goes back to a "cooler" environment, it reacts NORMALLY and the exposures are very precises (checked with a Minolta IV-F lightmeter). ...so, where's the problem ? Is it the CCD or the lighmeter that is going bezerk ? Anybody experienced this ?

Before someone asks me, i must make clear that i tried various lenses, shutter-speeds, apertures, lightmeter function (spot, matrix and center-weighted) ! So it's NOT the lens NOR a shutter-speed/aperture NOR a lightmetering method's FAULT !!!

PS. both pics are "out of the box", only resized ! You can check the EXIF datas. Another strange thing: i tried to run PSCS "Shadow/Highlight" on the first pic, and it came out almost correct with my default settings of Shadow: 15, 50, 2 and Highlight: 15, 50, 2. ...this, of course, created a lot of noise, but it pulled out most of the underexposure !

Please help...

Cheers,
    Jean-Pierre

2. Jean-Pierre if you let your camera warmed up before turning it on, does it do the same thing?

I had a bad experience once with my 5700, I took it out of the house to take a picture at low temperature and when I took the picture, the flash that was off in program gave a big burst emptying the batterie and drained it completely. I put another batterie in it and it went ok, I guess that problem might have been cause by the presence of humidity in the camera.

3. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

The problem has the symptoms of a board failure. The ambient temperature is enough to make that happen.

A lot of communications techs carry portable hair dryers so they can put some heat on a component that has been "acting up" for just that reason.

....and maybe not....

4. Hi Gilles ! Yes ! I can take some pics in the house, outside of the house... no problem ! Then i take the camera with me in the car -underneath the seat, so out of the direct sun-, drive 15 minutes to work, and when i get there, i get this problem of underexposure ! Same if i go for a walk... it works fine at the begining, but then after 20 minutes of walking out in the sun, BANG !
    I just don't know what to do ! Well, i know: get it repaired by Fuji, but i know the price will be very high -as allways-, so i'd like to make sure of what it is before...
    Cheers,
    J-P.

5. Hi Ken ! i guess so... I'd like to make sure, as my camera is part of the #32xxxx batch, wich is known to have serious problems with the CCD ! Usually it dies of what we -Fuji'ist- call the BLACK DEATH: suddenly the pics are totally BLACK = CCD dead ! Fuji has been repairing AT NO COST the cameras that had this failure ! ...in the meantime, mine doesn't show exactly this symptom, it just underexpose ! Pity, as i heard of a cost of more than $1000 to repair the electronic inside.... And i'm not in condition, nor to pay this amount, neither to buy another camera !

Cheers,
    J-P.

6. Jean-Pierre if you just take it outside the house at the same temperature does it do the same. I don't know but when i get in my car in the morning the temperature inside the car is a lot warmer than outside. If you put your camera under the seat not protected it can pick up a lot of dust and do like Ken said overheat, you often see that with a fridge, if you don't clean that grid, the temperature don't evacuate and it get warmer in the fridge, that should do the same for a camera.

7. J-P it sure sounds like a circut board failure similar to what is occurring in some of the nikon d70 models. however after reading your post twice, one other thing worth a try for ha ha's is to try a different CF card. Probably not it, but I would try it before calling fuji. They may make the repair at no charge if the serial number batch you are in had problems as a group. I hope you well on this as I want to see more of your work.

8. Hi Dave ! I don't think the card has anything to do with the problem, as the image apears allready underexposed on the LCD display !

Well, i hope so, but i seriously doubt it, in Switzerland ! Anyway, i'll try...

Woaw ! Thanks for your kind words !

Cheers,
    Jean-Pierre

9. One thing sure Jean-Pierre it's not normal that you have problems at those temperature, I look in my instruction book for the 5700 and the operation temperature are 0 to 40 centigrade or 32-104 farenheit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.