Weird sales exchange for a D2Hs ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Candidcameraman, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Hummm ... I posted my camera on Craig's List - what I love about Craig's List is the face to face dealings... Now do I "play" along and see how far I can go with it or ... just ignore it?

First e-mail

"Hello,
    l am interesting to buy your item so if it is still available you get back to me ASAP with your firm price.
    Thanks."

Second e-mail to my earlier reply...

"Hello,
    Thanks for your Quick Response to my earlier message l am happy to hear your item is still available and the price you want to sell is okay to me.
    l would have love to arrange for the pick up but l am not around and l traveled out of the State for a pastoral Visit to our New church program and l will appreciate your effort if only you will accept me to buy the item from you.
    Please l will pay you the money through Paypal or you provide me your full name and address for Orionpay postal money order that will be deliver to you in your doorstep house where you are living. I want this item for my son as a Birthday gift He stays with his mummy who is a Pastor that travel out for missionary work in abroad and i want the item to be ship directly to the destination where they are living. Which l will include $550 for the shipping tax.
    Please specify any of the above mode of payment that will suit you.

Thanks.
    God bless you."

So $550 above my asking price... :eek: Suuuuuure if it is too good to be true it is... That's why I love Craig's List - but since I can't meet up with him - I guess I'll pass... But I thought I had a buyer there for a minute (except for the poor English...)

2. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
    In other words, "believe my religious slanted e-mail, accept PayPal, and ship the item anywhere I designate. In lieu of the above, I can send you a money order from my new color laser (which I got through the last transaction)".

Yeah, right! Perhaps this guy is a missionary in Nigeria.

3. I would pass on this one. Methinks he doth try to hard to sell you on himself.

4. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    The word "item" is always a give away.

5. Hey "P"

if it is still available, me wanna buy you kamera. I live in Toronto like you but i am now on tv show survivor on an island somewhere. Me want to swop the tower i own in Paris for your kamera.....can you do it kwik cuz its a birthday present for my great great grandfather? :wink::wink::wink:

6. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

as soon as the god card is dropped watch out for your wallet.

7. What did that PT Barnum guy once say...
    For every person who see through the smoke, mirrors there is some unfortunate soul thinking

"Man, this is my lucky day- great offer and this sounds so sincere- it can't be bad".

Thanks goodness for sites like ours to sell to like minded folks :)

8. Dear SIR,

Thank you kindly for posting on this friendly forum. You see, I am away on religOus travels. If I may, and ask you, kindly, and with great happiness, for you to in quick response to alllow me to respond to you. You see, I am in a foreign country but met a good friend Mr. SMith who is most intersted in your ITEMs you are offering. I will act on Mr. Smiths eagerness and wire transfer you the funds you have requested. BTW, Mr. Smith is a Prince of a rich small island in a fictiousous world far far away from here. To show his gracious graditiude he is willing to pay an additional 1,000,000 US DOLLARS in addition to the funds you have requested. Mr. Smith asks you to promptly and quickly send only a small portion of the additional funds back to him via a wire transfer. The rest of the funds are yours for helping my kind friend out. HE graciously accepts your offer.

Thank you sir for your generous assitance in this matter.

:tongue:

9. Here's my recent experience about wanting to purchase a Nikon 70-200 /f2.8 VR and a 18-200 /f3.5-5.6 VR listed for $700.00 on Craigslist. :910:

Response to my 1st inquiry:
    700 and we have a deal.
    the problem would be that i am from Italy.i will pay the postage costs.
    i suggest to make this thru Ebay and i will send the lens via Ups by Air.in less than 48 hours you will receive it ready for inspection.
    you will make the payment directly to Ebay,after that you will receive the lenses,you can test them and only if you decide to keep it than i will receive the money.
    waiting for your email.

Response to my response about requiring to see the lens 1st hand:
    Look haw we do this: first you will send me your full name and ship address to start the transaction under eBay Protection.
    Then i will start the shipping to your adress thru eBay Security Center and after that you will receive a invoice from them with the payment metod and shipping details.
    The shipping will take less than 48 hours.
    I am waiting for your email.

The spelling mistakes and the cue to send money via eBay Security Center gave it away that this was gonna be a trap and I passed.. BTW, this went on for almost a week or 2 before the guy gave up..

10. The first caveat (warning) is that the buyer cannot write correct English. That is a definite NO for me. Yes, I know, there are exceptions, but not in this situation.

11. BWAHAHAAAA... too funny.

If it smells like a skunk, looks like a skunk, and walks like a skunk... it's a STINKER.

12. RadarPing

RadarPing

Feb 14, 2007
    Conroe, Texas
    Lions, Gold and Confusion.

It is a textbook Nigerian scam. These people are malicious scammers, not innocent victims.
    Here is one way that a man named Bob Servant dealt with it. It's a PDF sample chapter from his book Delete this at your Peril and the sample Chapter: Lions, gold and confusion

It's a lengthy read but rather funny story about how he scammed a scammer.

13. If you believe that I have bridge I would like to sell you.

Les